Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
Hi,

Running OSX 10.5 and I encounter this problem on a frequent basis. The symptoms are the beach ball when coming out of sleep. I run onyx and find an invalid volume directory. Running first aid from the boot cd fixes it but it always comes back within a few days.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hi,

Running OSX 10.5 and I encounter this problem on a frequent basis. The symptoms are the beach ball when coming out of sleep. I run onyx and find an invalid volume directory. Running first aid from the boot cd fixes it but it always comes back within a few days.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks
You need to post more info in order to get any valid help.
What computer is it? What OS, surely not just 10.5? Leopard has updates out up to 10.5.8.
However, if it is a Power Mac (PPC) running Leopard, it could be your older hard disk is starting to fail, most likely culprit. Need a new HD to solve that.
You could have a sleep mode issue, use SmartSleep http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html
to set the sleep mode to sleep only. See if that fixes the issue.

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
You need to post more info in order to get any valid help.
What computer is it? What OS, surely not just 10.5? Leopard has updates out up to 10.5.8.
However, if it is a Power Mac (PPC) running Leopard, it could be your older hard disk is starting to fail, most likely culprit. Need a new HD to solve that.
You could have a sleep mode issue, use SmartSleep http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html
to set the sleep mode to sleep only. See if that fixes the issue.

David, thanks. I've got some time finally to trouble shoot this one a bit.

I upgraded to 10.6.6 and is running on a 3.06ghz intel mac so it's a relatively new intel iMAC (3 years or so). Other specifics of this marchine are 2GB memory and 8800GS video card. I ran diagnostics from the boot cd this morning and no hardware issues were identified. The specific volume errors are:

Volume information -- Should be 508410 and is 508411 -- Should be 147797 and is 147796.

I fix these issues and everything runs fine for a week or so, then the beach ball makes another appearance. Since diagnostics found nothing wrong, I'm debating just backing up to time machine and formatting the HD and starting fresh.

Thanks again for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.