Invalid volume file count how can i fix it ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aldo818, Dec 30, 2010.

1. aldo818 macrumors regular

I m new to Mac OS X and i haven t made an Boot disk yet nor anything. I just wanted to check my disk for the first time and this came up.
    I ve a Macbook air witout an optical drive just the USB stick with mac OSX which was delivered with it.

Can i repair it or do i need to do a re install of all the osX ?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

Invalid Volume file count .... HELP PLEASE

How can i fix it? I haven t made an start up disk nor any backup yet? Is it fixable or do i need to do an fresh re install of osX

Attached Files:

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

It's quite fixable, although if this happens often that's not a good sign.

If your using one of the new Macbook Air's substitute 'Install disc' with your USB Install Flash Drive (that came with your Air).

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

a reinstall wont do you any good.
    so there are two possible solutions, one better than the other. of course goes with out saying, backup as much as you can before attempting anything.

first off you will need to boot off the usb stick that came with your mac, just plug it in and hold option/alt down while it is turning on, and select to boot from the usb.
    once you are in you are going to want to open disk utility, located in the "tools" in the menubar atop. from there go to where your at now and click repair disk. - you have to do this while booting off the usb as you cant repair your boot disk.

if that doesn't work there is only one way, the hard way.
    within diskutility (still booting off the usb) simply reformat your drive, then reinstall from scratch.

5. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

thank you it says all ok now after i ve fallowed your instructions lets hope it won t come back anytime soon :)

6. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular