Inverted Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dweezle3, Nov 23, 2011.

1. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

So, I was playing racquetball the other day and realized that iPhones are not meant to be slid across the court :eek: Long story short, it hit the wall going pretty fast and messed up the screen. A lot. So now I have a washed out, inverted screen. Is there any way to fix this? I've tried modifying the iPhone.icc file in ~/System/Library/Lockdown but I really don't know what I'm doing with it :confused: Does anyone know how to work this? I've also tried inverting the colors on the screen and that doesn't seem to do anything. The odd thing is that you know how when you click on an app on a normal iPhone, the app darkens just a bit just before it launches? Well with mine, the app turns normal color for just a bit before it launches. The same happens when I hold down the power button and the "Slide to Power Off" slider appears - instead of darkening like most phones, the screen and icons looks perfectly normal. Does anyone know of a way to sort of overlay that "darkness" over the screen permanently? I've found that reducing the brightness helps a bit, apparently it lowers the gamma or something and improves the contrast a little, but right now my phone is basically a kindle, all it's good for is reading text :rolleyes: Any help is appreciated!

PS: It's an iPhone 3G, idk if thats important or not...

Attached Files:

2. dweezle3 thread starter macrumors regular

dweezle3

Ya, I guess I could replace the screen again if I really needed to, that's not hard. I was just wondering what I could do that was software related to fix it?

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I would assume it wouldn't be worth it, as that would be hours upon hours of troubleshooting and programming for it to maybe work, whereas replacing the screen would definitely work.

So long as you don't screw up replacing the screen. Then again, you sound as though you have done it before.

4. dweezle3 thread starter macrumors regular

dweezle3

True, that's why I figured I'd post this here to see if any programmers or people who might have seen this before could help. And ya, I've messed up my phone so much that I'm surprised it still turns on :rolleyes: I've taken it apart plenty of times, so I'm not worried about replacing the screen if I need to, I'd just rather not go through the trouble of ordering a new one and installing it if I don't have to.

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If that's the case, then you might have better luck posting in the iPhone hacks section.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

What happen of you do a hard reboot? hold power & home button for 10 to 15 seconds, release both button and then turn the phone on normally.

7. dweezle3 thread starter macrumors regular

dweezle3

Same inverted sort of colors. The background is a beige kind of color instead of black and the shadowed parts of the apple logo are a purple color instead of grey or black. I'm pretty sure it's the screen that's gone bad, but I've seen it look fine when it's turning off, so I know there's a way to make it look normal, I just haven't figured it out yet.

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Your LCD is bad, just get a new one from Amazon. It cost around $19.00 including shipping and it takes 10 minutes to replace.

There are lot of youtube tutorials available via google search on how to replace this.

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

ifixit.com and applepartsstore.com both have decently priced parts for your iPhone. I would avoid getting them off of Amazon or eBay because you run the chance of buying cheap knockoffs that will not work properly, if at all.