Inverter Board problems...I think.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShadarJP, Jan 19, 2008.

1. ShadarJP macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of help working out what is wrong with my MBP.

My screen backlight is flickering on and off intermittently. It sounded exactly like the inverter board was dead, so I got hold of one and replaced it.

And the backlight is flickering on and off intermittently.

Was I lucky enough get a replacement inverter board that is just as broken as the first one or is my screen dying? Can anyone give me some hints to work out how to tell?

Oh! And somewhere to get mac parts in Japan would be a really nice tip.

Shadar.

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

the inverter board is powered by the main logic board, did you check if the connector is loose on it? or maybe some worn up wires?? i read somewhere you could also chek the voltage output from the logic board to inverter, i dunno how much it should be, but i guess a few volts is a good sign.

3. ShadarJP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is it is coming on and off, on and off, randomly without me even touching the machine.

The connections were the first think I checked when I opened it up for the second time (the first time being to replace the inverter board), they are tight and the wires look fine.

As for checking the voltages, I have no idea if they should even be constant or what sort of level they should be. Mistakenly buying a 35gbp inverter board is ok, convincing myself that the logic board is dead when it isn't would mean me buying a new laptop...and I'm not sure if I would go for Apple again when this one lasted 54 weeks of careful use for 1200gbp vs 3years (and going strong in spite of me not being careful with it) until I dropped a bottle of wine, which smashed, on top of my Sharp. For less than half the price. I can even get the sharp back to working order with a 50quid replacement keyboard.

What I really want to know is if a failing backlight can give the same symptoms or if anyone has any ideas as to how to isolate exactly what is wrong with my machine when I don't have a second MBP to swap parts with.