Inverter cable/board problem ???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mattpreece87, Aug 30, 2013.

1. mattpreece87 macrumors newbie

Hey,

About a week ago I was using my Macbook just fine and then i closed the lid like normal after finishing. I went back to it 30 minutes later, opened it and the screen was dark but could still see the desktop (as if the brightness setting was on 0). I fiddled with it for a bit and found that if I put the brightness down to 0 then back up, the screen would come on for a few seconds and then go off. I left it for a day, tried again and the same. I then put a bit of pressure on the bottom right corner, as if pushing the screen towards the keyboard, put the brightness down and then up and the screen worked again. I could move the laptop, screen etc and it stayed on. I then closed it, opened it and back to square one.

It works very randomly. I'm using it now but it might well go off in the next 5 minutes. Also, the volume wasn't working until i shut the computer down, started it again and held D down. It worked first time then.

My question is, does this sound like an inverter cable problem, or will it be the inverter board? I was told it might be the tubes in the screen which would require i new screen but as i've been using it now for 15 minutes like normal, i dont think it is that.

Sorry for the long description but i like to be detailed.

Any help would be much apprecaited.

Matt

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

From what you have described it certainly sounds like an issue with the inverter board. It sounds unlikely to be a failing Lcd display. What macbook do you have? I know that failing inverter boards are a common problem in pre unibody (2006 - 2008 & mid 09) white MacBooks, but this is not the case with the unibody models. depending on which macbook you have, changing the inverter board is a relatively straightforward task and should take no longer than 10 mins to replace. it's also a fairly inexpensive part and is readily available.