Inverter whine Penryn MBP, 3rd one - still whining!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foeniox, May 13, 2008.

1. foeniox macrumors newbie

foeniox

is anyone getting inverter whine on their penryn mbp's?

under windows/bootcamp its absolutely hideous, anything below full brightness results in auditory trauma.

prevalent under os x too, however is far less pronounced. only noticeable if you get closer n personal.

(on os x) At full brightness its least audible, mid is mild, between bottom and mid however is at its most audible. but again on os x you have to put your head up close to hear it.

definitely there though, i've been systematically asking people over a range of ages if they can hear it, and i have acute hearing so its pissing the hell out of me.

im wondering if they all have this problem. specifically if they all exhibit it under bootcamp as that is where it's unmissable/infuriating.

thanks

b

2. astrosyt macrumors member

Poor quality apple. :(

Sorry for my bad english.
    My penryn mbp has high frequency sound coming from keyboard but its not a converter. I think its coming from harddrive. Its driving me crazy :mad: Keyboard painting is awful for example space button is obviosly painted diffrent like others buttons and its also bent. Terrible backlight bleeding and yellow bottom screen. OMG i paid 1800 € (2800 $) for 15 " 2.4, 200 gb, machine and it has that kind of problemmos. How is it possible that so expensive laptop has so much issues? Or apple probably thinks that their osx leopard costs that much? i dont think so!!!
    I cant understand why people are saying that apple products are high quality.

3. cmm26red macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=448315&highlight=penryn+mbp+brightness+whine

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The new MBPs have LED backlights. IIRC, LED backlights don't require an inverter. Thus, it can't be the inverter whining. Nevertheless, take it back and have a whine (pardon the pun) to them about it.

And to astrosyt; I hate to say it, but you got a dud. I've had several Apple products over the years, and they have all been to exceptional quality. If you are unhappy, don't put up with it. Take it back. No-one is going to criticise about wanting a good product, but people will if you complain about getting a bad one and not doing anything about it.

5. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I had a little whine/hum with my MBP. It seems to be some kind of "resonance" with the fans. I use smccontrol anyway so I changed the min fan speed by a couple hundred RPM and the sound went away. The MBP fans are silent from 2000 to 2500 rpm so you can vary the speed a little bit and not make noise.

I originally thought it was the hard drive as well but smc seemed to make it go away. Give it a try.

6. foeniox thread starter macrumors newbie

foeniox

astrosyt i agree .. you definitely got a dud. my 1st and 2nd one had the yellowing issue. call them up and they'll replace it.

cmm26red thanks for that thread, i did search but obviously not thoroughly enough.

Scott6666 its not a whine or hum so much as a very high pitched sharp tone. there's no way you could mistake it and it definitely comes from the screen area. word on the street is its a driver issue so i await patiently.

thanks everyone.

b