MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

105114-500x_comp4.jpg

CNET reports that the police investigation into the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of a lost iPhone 4 that subsequently made its way into the hands of Gizmodo appears to be nearing an end.
Stephen Wagstaffe, chief deputy district attorney for San Mateo County, Calif., told CNET today that police are close to wrapping up their theft investigation and could forward their final report to his office within the next few weeks. Wagstaffe will then review the information and determine whether to file criminal charges.
According to Wagstaffe, police interviewed a number of Apple employees, including CEO Steve Jobs, in connection with the case. No details on the results of those interviews have been revealed.

The prototype iPhone, which had been in the possession of an Apple employee for field testing purposes, was either lost in or stolen from a bar in Redwood City, California back in March and eventually purchased by Gizmodo. Police seized a number of items from Gizmodo editor Jason Chen's home in connection with the investigation into whether any wrongdoing was committed in the chain of events.

Gizmodo has claimed that its employees did nothing wrong, at least partially claiming protection under journalist shield laws. Others, however, have pointed to California laws regarding requirements for the handling of lost property as potential cause for charges to be filed against one or more of the parties involved.

Article Link: Investigation Into Lost iPhone 4 Prototype Wrapping Up, Jobs Interviewed

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
Buying and or selling stolen property is one thing...
buying and or selling lost property is another....
and Finding lost property and selling it is another....

who do you believe?

Comment

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

who do you believe?

Either case gizmodo is screwed.

Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. People here are quick to act as Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Seeing it was gizmodo who published every single detail about the whole ordeal, they hanged themselves.

Comment

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Seeing it was gizmodo who published every single detail about the whole ordeal, they hanged themselves.

Seeing how nothing they published was a guilty plead accepted in a court of law, they are still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

You are quick to act as Judge, Jury and Executioner in all of this.

Hint : No charges will be pressed because this would be a nightmare to prosecute. About the only lawful question that can be raised is whether or not the attempts to return the phone were satisfactory in the eyes of the law. This is not up to you or anyone here to debate.

Comment

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Corporate Espionage Fallout

The tech industry is EXTREMELY cutthroat so I applaud the seriousness with which this breach is being pursued. :cool:

Comment

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I'm still putting a lot of blame on Apple here. Lots of blame could have been passed to the person who found the phone if it was tagged with a sticker that said: "Property of Apple Inc, If found, please call XXX-XXX-XXXX and report number XXXXXXXX."

Our company property have similar stickers on them, but from the photos it appears this was not the case (unless it was removed)

It would be easy for Apple to have such a similar setup, even if it's just a special number for only prototypes. It would have given the person finding the phone a easy method to return it.

Comment

fuseone

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I like how apple is willing to press charges but if say mine or someone else phone was stolen or lost what would apple do then.

Comment

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I like how apple is willing to press charges but if say mine or someone else phone was stolen or lost what would apple do then.

If yours was a top-secret prototype, they may be prone to help you out a little bit.

Comment

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I love how you can't tell the difference between your phone and an invaluable engineering prototype

If yours was a top-secret prototype, they may be prone to help you out a little bit.

If mine was a top secret invaluable prototype, I wouldn't bring it to a bar. Any outings in the real world would be controlled, time constrained and have GPS tracking.

Anyway, the "engineering" value is meaningless. Value in this case is sums of parts. This makes the prototype no more valuable than any other iPhone 4s. Trade secrets and other IP concerns went out the window the day Apple brought it out in the real world.

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Ah, the Gizmodo leak. Those were good times. All kinds of debates about how far along the "found" iPhone was in development, arguments about the screws, the seams, how Apple would never release a phone with that design.....it was all quite amusing.

Comment

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Seeing how nothing they published was a guilty plead accepted in a court of law, they are still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Hint : No charges will be pressed because this would be a nightmare to prosecute. About the only lawful question that can be raised is whether or not the attempts to return the phone were satisfactory in the eyes of the law. This is not up to you or anyone here to debate.

I have told my dad who is a lawyer the details( thanks to gizmodo) of the return attempt and he deemed it not satisfactory. He didn't even use the most logical attempt to return it to the owner: turn it in to the police. He knew whose iPhone it was, and all he did was a lame attempt to call AppleCare who would have no idea how to handle it. Apple's campus was a few miles away as well. So many options unused. Gizmodo knew all this( how else could they publish it?).

Comment

LooksGoodToMe

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010

OK...that is a pretty stupid comment! Why do you feel a manufacturer/retailer should be concerned if something you bought from them was stolen? Do you think Walmart should get involved if your buddy store the lamp you bought from their store?

Comment

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX

who do you believe?

If you "find" an item that doesn't belong to you and you take it with no intentions of trying to find the rightful owner, you've stolen it.

In a perfect world if someone were to "lose" an item in a public place, they should be able to go back and get it. Honest people will leave items alone that do not belong to them.

Comment

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
Anyway, the "engineering" value is meaningless. Value in this case is sums of parts. This makes the prototype no more valuable than any other iPhone 4s. Trade secrets and other IP concerns went out the window the day Apple brought it out in the real world.

Meaningless? Value is not the sum of its parts. You contradict yourself in the next sentence. An iPhone 4 is more valuable than the sum of its parts.

And if the prototype is no more valuable than any other iPhone 4, than what were iPhone 4's being sold for at the time of the incident?

Comment

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

who do you believe?

actually under the law of California those things are all pretty much the same.

Apple bringing it out into the real world does not diminish its actual value at the time. That is a silly argument. If a car company brings a prototype car out in public for a drive, it is still worth what it is worth. it does not then become worth only 35k because it was in public. That is absurd logic. At the time the prototype was stolen, its value was much greater than what an iPhone 4 is worth today.

I do like whenever this story/issue comes back up, just to reinforce again how dumb Gizmodo is.

Comment

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003

The attempts to return the phone are the KEY points. Anyone who isn't a legal ignoramus would know that. And it seems pretty clear to me that the attempt was very, very inadequate.

Hint: that's enough to go to prosecution.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.