Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Recently there was news out of China where data was being sent back to China's servers.
I recently discovered that even though under privacy I had diagnostics and usage switched off to not send it seemed to be sending all kinds of info from an app called investing.com

Can someone here look into this? When I asked investing.com about this I got the reply below. I asked them if this info being collected and sent was by Apple or Investing the below email was now they responded. All kinds of personal info seems to show on that data log usage being sent out. Since it is their app they should know but their response was some what alarming.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/N.Y....-phones-sends-data-to-Chinese-servers_id87822

IMG_1317.jpg

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
IMG_1319.PNG
How do you know it's being sent out?
A few reasons... Look at the reply above when I asked them if this data was being collected by Apple or by them. Then you can see above attachments I attached plus the one below. Along with that we have background data refresh running and data usage.

You install the app and then let me know what you think.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
View attachment 672969
A few reasons... Look at the reply above when I asked them if this data was being collected by Apple or by them. Then you can see above attachments I attached plus the one below. Along with that we have background data refresh running and data usage.

You install the app and then let me know what you think.
Well as far as data usage goes an app will generally use some data to function and perform its functionalities. Again, not sure what it is that indicates that some sort additional information is being sent out.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Well as far as data usage goes an app will generally use some data to function and perform its functionalities. Again, not sure what it is that indicates that some sort additional information is being sent out.
Did you look at the contents in the image of the last post?

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
What part of what's there shows something being sent out and/or something nefarious?
You have address book,contacts,incoming call filter,calendar,etc.. none of those have anything to do with app. Besides, why could the app developers not answer a simple question then when asked?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You have address book,contacts,incoming call filter,calendar,etc.. none of those have anything to do with app. Besides, why could the app developers not answer a simple question then when asked?
These are iOS system logs that log information relating to some crash or issue which typically includes things like hardware and software details, running processes, other system services, etc. All fairly typical and normal for system logs. That section is also generally related to what could be sent to Apple if that is enabled by the user and not necessarily what is sent to developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.