Investors? College advice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CalPoly10, Jul 24, 2008.

1. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

I am going to school at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, currently studying Industrial Engineering. I love mathematics, working with people/people management, and also enjoy optimizing processes and tasks (in efforts to cut costs and maximize profits).

Since the age of 12, I have had a knack for investing. It started off as a small eBay business, in which I would buy things from friends, craigslist, etc, and resell them for a profit (either on eBay or by other means).

My father gave me $400 when I was 13 to invest however I chose. I opened up a trading account with Ameritrade (now tdwaterhouse). I bought 20 shares of Apple, when it was trading at $20 (before the stock split!).

After a few years of buying/selling, I had roughly $8000 in the account. I love reading the daily periodicals, analyzing economies, markets, people, etc. It's just fascinating to foresee where global economies are moving, which resources are in demand, etc.

Anyways, I would like to enter this field one day. Maybe open up my own Asset Management company, and run a Hedge Fund, or something of the likes.

What do you think about my current course of study? I figure Industrial Engineers are very high in demand, so I will land a decent salary job out of school. Maybe after a few years, I will try to get into a great business school. I'm just not sure which route to take. I would study Business/Finance, but I don't seem very many immediate jobs after college. Right now, I study investment options in my spare time, trade stocks whenever I can, read books dealing with economies and markets, etc.

I want to travel as well, maybe to India, China, Korea...the countries that are up and coming to be wonderful investments.

What is your opinion on this? What courses do you see me taking to reach my goals?

2. CalPoly10 thread starter macrumors regular

3. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Engineers are usually better at crunching numbers than finance people ;)

It's definitely nice to have a good job right out of school so you can put more money in investments. Also, I'm sure if you're keen enough you can take some finance related courses. Or may be just do a business minor?

Good luck!