Carrier Investors flee telecom on price-war fears after AT&T price cut

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EbookReader, Feb 4, 2014.

1. EbookReader macrumors 65816

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/03/us-att-pricecut-idUSBREA100K720140203

I bet AT&T, Verizon and Sprint executives having been hating T-Mobile in the past year for being such a maverick.

On the plus side, consumers are better off when there is "real evidence of increasing competition."

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I wouldn't give all the credit to TMO as ATT has planned to move away from the subsidized phone model for some time. It was a workable solution before people found they couldn't live without a cell phone. Now it is no longer needed.

3. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

http://qz.com/169001/verizon-just-h...-price-war-in-wireless-might-soon-be-upon-us/

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Not verizon, they added a few subscribers last quarter.

As far as t mobile goes there was no where to go but up.

5. alent1234 macrumors 603

next is deflation in the phone market

i switched my plan to the new plan over the weekend because out of the 4 lines on my contract at least 2 won't care how long they use the phone for. will be years. same with my wife but i might have to buy her a new phone later this year.

either way expect the sales of smartphones to drop now that people have a financial interest in keeping their old one.

i traded in my iphone 5 for a galaxy note 3 and will go iphone again if apple comes out with a baseline phone with a large screen and at least 32GB storage
    and as sales lag expect apple and samsung to start offering deals on full price phones bought via NEXT and similar programs. not just through third party retailers

6. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I set my AT&T account up yesterday - Verizon has 2 weeks to respond or my 4 lines are goooooonnnneee to AT&T

7. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

Verizon will probably indeed react soon. T-Mobile wasn't big enough to make them blink, but AT&T is.

I figured AT&T would react soon anyway because T-Mobile's moves really were starting to take a toll on their growth. The subscriber growth was pretty pathetic in 2013 so I suppose they figure that a temporary drop in revenue to hold off T-Mobile is worthwile so that they can return to growth.

8. blarivee macrumors 6502

9. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

10. blarivee macrumors 6502

True. Just a thought, something tells me even they have enough margins to absorb minimal subscriber growth (still post profits), or they will find some reasoning why subscriber growth numbers are not important (e.g. market has mature/saturated).