Invisible App that only shows in the Spotlight ?!?!??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ctrlaltdelete20, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ctrlaltdelete20 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.
    Hope this is the right place - this is my first post.
    I bought the app Kodak SmileMaker a while ago, put it on my iPod touch, then deleted it later when I needed more space.
    Now a week ago, I reinstalled it directly through the touch's App store. I started using my touch for other things and didn't wait to see if it completely installed.
    Anyway, when I looked a bit later, the place where the icon was when it was installing, was empty.
    I went back into the App store to download it again (assuming it hadn't fully installed), only to find the App store told me I'd already downloaded it and wouldn't let me download it again.
    Through some coincidence, I must have searched something similar to "smile" on my spotlight searching function on the touch (ie. the screen before the home screen). There it showed up! I opened it and it worked fine.

Now, I have no idea how this happened.

My question is: can I do it again????
    Anybody?
    This would be brilliant! It would get rid of apps that you don't want to be anywhere on the springboard, yet you can use if you want to, because you know there on your ipod/iphone.

In fact this is a great idea to develop a cheap application for, but I don't know how to do it and am not bothered about it.
    But how can I do it again?

Anyone?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Plug your touch into your computer and see in it copies over if it does then untick it and tap sync this will remove it. Once that's done either redownload via your touch or tick the box to sync over.

If the above fails make your icons wobble and see if there is a blank square with a cross over it.

3. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

You can do it again if you jailbreak your phone

4. ctrlaltdelete20 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not actually interested in getting it to appear as normal - it's awesome!

Thanks for the reply

5. ctrlaltdelete20 thread starter macrumors newbie

How? My ipod is jailbroken already. I didn't mention this because I thought it didn't bear any relevance to this bug.
    So, is there a Cydia app for that sorta thing or so?

6. ctrlaltdelete20 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Yes, its called poof. It can be downloaded as a stand-alone package but is installed by, and can be accessed through, SBSettings>more, and Categories.

8. ctrlaltdelete20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for that! I installed it and recognised the icon from somewhere. I was going to put it in one of my app folders, then discovered it in the options of the folder-app, Categories. It seems they use the same thing.
    So I had it all along, but just didn't know, and therefore didn't use it!
    Thanks

9. AppleHack23 macrumors member

I don't know if this really relates to this specific topic, but its probably a good thing to know. The iPhone is limited to 11 homescreens, so if you have 11 full homescreens, and you try to install an app, it wont show on your homescreen. Its still there but you just have to search for it in spotlight. Although, I found this out by accident, if you have a Jailbroken device, you can download Overboard from Cydia, and that allows you to click the home button and select which homescreen you want to go to, faster than normal, kind of like Spring Jumps. It also allows you to have unlimited homescreens.

10. ctrlaltdelete20 thread starter macrumors newbie

I only have four homescreens now. I never found loads of homescreens helpful, because you spend ages looking through your apps all the time.
    So I started looking for alternative solutions. One of these is to put your apps in folders, which is what I did, using "categories". Best thing ever. I think it costs 1 symbollic dollar for the full quick version on Cydia, and you can try the free one out first.

11. AppleHack23 macrumors member

Not really a big fan of Categories...different apps interfere with it, like Lockdown, you can lock an app with that, but if the app is in a folder, you just open the folder and launch the app from there without a passcode or password on it...so I started putting them back to normal, without folders. Anyway I unjailbroke due to battery issues...and I think it actually did some permanent battery damage to my device, considering it was never off the charger 'cause the battery was so bad.

12. ctrlaltdelete20 thread starter macrumors newbie

My battery is fine.
    But I've always taken good care of it - Lithium batteries want regular charging, also when not full.
    Anyway, I only use Categories for the clutter apps that you only use once in a while. My first homescreen contains all the frequently used apps. Also the ones that I would ever consider to put a passcode on for security issues. So I guess that was the solution - get those apps out of your folders.

13. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

You can also hide icons from everything but Spotlight by using SBSettings. Just click the "More" button and one of the menu options is to hide icons.

14. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Problems with Poof

Ever since I've installed Poof, some apps seem to crash on startup. I think it messes with the system memory.