invisible but still clickable folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maluca, Apr 26, 2009.

1. maluca macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    i was searching for a programm that allowes you to hide a folder so that it is still clickable... all i found where lots of programms that made the folder invisible but after they where invisible i couldnt click on them anymore

is it possible to make a folder invisible and place it at some spot on the screen i remember and when i click on that spot on the screen where the invisible folder is that the folder would open?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

A little trick might help:

Apply a translucent icon (completely transparent, nothing in it) and rename it to " ".

3. maluca thread starter macrumors newbie

but wont you still be able to see " " ? and it might sound stupid but i cant find a fully transparent icon anywere :eek::D
    so there is no programm or?

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I don't know, can you see this:
    ? :D It's just a space, after all. Of course you will see it, when you highlight all the desktop.

And I don't really know an app that could do that. But i could make you a transparent icon, if you want to.

5. maluca thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh just a space :D hehe i thought it would be " " <--^^hehe yeah would be great if you coul do that

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

There you go. Do you know how to apply icons?

Attached Files:

7. maluca thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Get info for the folder and the icon file (select and press CMD + I). Then click on the top left of the info window of the icon file (where you normally see the icon). Press CMD + C, select the icon of the folder in its respective info window and press CMD + V.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

10. maluca thread starter macrumors newbie

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Even if the icon and name are invisible, when viewed from Finder a person could see a missing item (in list or column view). I hope you don't believe the invisibility will protect any data or hide it from someone (or Spotlight). If you need to protect anything look at encryption. There's some good threads here about that topic generally involving encrypted DMGs or using 3rd party apps like TrueCrypt.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Correct. If you want to hide files or protect them, check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjB3w1mXaeQ

13. maluca thread starter macrumors newbie

hehe no just hiding the files from from my girlfriend :D haha ill just keep the file in a folder were there are a lot of other files
    i dont think she will spot the "invisible" file there ;D

thx again :) you helped me a lot