Invisible File on Desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thefunbobbyofoc, Feb 9, 2012.

1. thefunbobbyofoc macrumors newbie

While using Yahoo Messenger a friend of mine sent me a .jpeg file that I saved to the desktop. The title of the file was"... .jpeg" It showed in the file transfer window, but no icon appeared on the desktop. The file was resent with the same results. I figured that it did not have valid characters so I had my friend rename the file and it was sent successfully.

I would like to remove the invisible .jpeg files form my computer but they do not appear as and icon on the desktop nor does it show when I look at the files on the hard drive. I also cannot find the file when I type in the name with the spotlight search. However, when I open up other programs such as powerpoint or photo editing software and try to import an image both the files show up in that window as being located on the desktop. I tried to find the file location from there, but it does not direct me to a folder.

The file is not a picture I want popping up when others may use my laptop :)

Does anyone have any idea how I can find these invisible files so that I may delete them?

Thank You,
    Rob

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Open a Terminal.
    Then type the following commands (do not include the ' character):
    'cd Desktop'
    'rm <file name>'

replace <file name> with the name of the file you want to delete.

3. simsaladimbamba

That works too I guess, but my reply is rather for showing you the CODE tag, the icon for it looks like this: [​IMG].
    Then there is no need for placeholders like ' and such.

Example:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    Code:
    rm <file name>