Invisible files at / became visible after upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kothrush, Nov 5, 2007.

1. kothrush macrumors member

kothrush

I just noticed this. All files in my "/" (root) directory are visible after upgrade to 10.5 . Its fresh install. Now when I go to my computer's HDD root level, I see all the hidden directory and files there , like etc, usr, var, private etc. etc.

I tried repairing disk permission. It's still the same. I know OS X has a file somewhere which lists all the files/folder which need to be hidden at root level. Do anyone know if its same method used in 10.5 ? It's nothing bad in terms of functionality but just little irritating to see all those directory there which I am not used to !

2. avkills macrumors 6502

avkills

This happened to me on my 2nd install. I just re-installed it again and it worked right the third time. I had to do re-installs because they did away with the Netinfo and it took me a while to figure out how to change users home directories paths.

-mark

3. kothrush thread starter macrumors member

kothrush

Yes, it does happen sometimes. I think there is a settings file in os x which tells finder to hide system files like /usr, /bin etc. I am not really sure how it works in 10.5 though , setting file or some permission.

I would like to know if someone here knew how to fix it.