Invisible folder contents in Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Multiplex, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Multiplex macrumors newbie

Hi! Just installed Lion and I find all my desktop folders look empty. However when I right click on them it says they are not, giving the size and numbers of items. But they are only visible in the 'All My Files' page.

How can I see them in the correct folders again? What has happened. Also, when I drop something into the folder, that dissapears too!

Getting cross now!

Thanks!

Gordon.

2. yawns macrumors member

It sounds like the folders or the files in them either have the "hidden," attribute applied, or your account doesn't have read access. If you'd like a more precise answer, open a terminal and do the following commands (I'm assuming the folders you're dealing with are all on your desktop):

whoami
    cd ~/Desktop
    ls -la@
    cd ./A_FOLDER_THAT'S_HAVING_ISSUES
    ls -la@

Then post the output to each here. These commands only output information (specifically, the name you're logged in under, and the attributes on the folders and files on your desktop). They don't do anything or make any changes. If this is the issue, you probably will need to use the terminal to reset permissions or remove the hidden attribute.

Otherwise, it would probably work to just show hidden files in finder:

http://lifehacker.com/188892/show-hidden-files-in-finder

Though this is annoying because it shows all the dot files everywhere.