Invisible Keys on iPad Split-Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BC2009, Feb 13, 2012.

1. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

Just saw this on Cult of Mac. I tried it out and sure enough, the split keyboard on iPad iOS5 has invisible keys that you can tap in case you forget where the actual keys are.

This is similar to the microphone button on iPhone 4S behaving as a space key if you are typing away and miss the shrunken space key.

If you are typing and you tap quickly to the left of H key in split-keyboard, you get the G key. Same thing on the opposite side if you tap to the right of the G key (similar behavior for T/Y keys and V/B keys).

This is fairly ingenious and I think Apple should patent this -- I can't imagine many folks thinking of doing stuff like this to best-guess typing on a touchscreen keyboard.

2. matttye macrumors 601

I found this by accidentally tapping the wrong place.

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

... Seriously?
    I found this out the day iOS 5 was released.
    I too accidentally tapped on the empty space.

4. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Oh really? Congratulations, you win a medal for being one of the first people to find it out! Have you considered playing in the Olympics? :rolleyes:

5. seong, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

seong macrumors 65816

seong

uh, there is really no need for you to be either sarcastic/playful. When I first found about it, I just thought it was something Apple intended to put it. And no, I don't think there is need to have something like this in the olympics.

6. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Likewise! The guy was simply sharing some information that not everyone knows, did you have to enter with this macho bravado about how quickly you found out about the feature? Does it matter that you found it out so soon? You obviously don't enjoy it when someone's incredibly sarcastic about something you say, so please show some respect to other people who are just coming here and trying to help others.

Thanks.

7. jojoba macrumors 68000

Yes, I didn't know this, and I didn't even know that I could split the keyboard in two. Thanks!

8. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

Oh yea, well I knew about it before Apple even designed it. Nana nana boo boo, stick your head in doo doo. :cool: