Invisible Sheild vs. Ghost Armor... What is "orange peel"?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Donz0r, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Some new members on this forum are saying (along with the Ghost Armor website) that the Ghost Armor doesn't have that ''orange peel look''

..what does that mean?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Be wary that these 'new' members are pimping ghost armor in every post.

3. Donz0r thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i know :rolleyes: , still want to know what exactly they're claiming is better about GA than IS.

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

It doesn't mean anything. The InvisibleShield and similar products look great and work against scratches. So does extra wide packing tape, but it doesn’t look great. Ghost Armor should work just like the others. The price looks good. I think that I would shy against purchasing any product if it looks like they have trolls on Internet.

5. HaroldC macrumors regular

I had never even considered that........ huh.

6. meagain macrumors 68030

Oh please - there are pics of it on a 3g phone here and I see the same texture as the other companies have.

7. Altimeter88 macrumors member

I purchased the new Ghost Armor for my white iPhone 3g and installed it on the back today.
    I have purchased Shield Zone for every other product I own, seriously, every electronic device I have has Shieldzone and that is a lot of stuff. That being said I really like the the Ghost Armor...HOWEVER...I can't tell it apart from the shieldzone stuff at all. Still has a little bit of orange peel just like the shield zone. In fact that is why I purchased it because of the reviews that said it has NO orange peel. I was surprised to see it identical to shieldzone and because of this I don't think I will install it on the screen portion as it is a little tacky and doesn't feel like glass to me. I have purchased some Power Support Crystal films for the screen that I will install.

I love the Ghost Armor on the back though, a little bit of tackyness is good IMO and now my white back will not get scratched...but I see no reason not to get shieldzone or any other similar product as they all appear to be the exact same material both look and feel.

8. higgalls macrumors regular

Well from the pics that have been put on here, it seems like the orange peel effect is minimal or none at all, compared to pictures seen of other similar products.

I have ordered mine, but I am in Australia so it hasn't arrived yet (hopefully tomorrow).

9. s0ccer60d04 macrumors newbie

listen i dont know what you guys are talking about at all. I personaly have gotten my old iphone done by invisishield and then have gotten my new 3g iphone done by ghost armor. GA is hands down better then IS. And on the point of orange peel its the waveness thats in the film, and you can total see it in IS. Not saying that GA doesn't have it but it much less noticeable. Since gettin my new iphone done by ghost armor i have also gotten my ipod touch and DS done by them.. The guy that did mine did an amazing job specially on my DS. Cant remember his name i think James, and his last name i believe started with an A at fiesta mall in Mesa. He's the **** and hooks it up. You've got an electronic that needs protections thats the place to go, HANDS DOWN!!

10. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Hey what do you know?! Another new user. And this his/her first post!

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

just buy bodyguardz, its a proven shield with many reviews

orange peel refers to the look of certain clear shields

they will have a slight bumpy look ( similar to the look of an orange, but not as exagerated)

I loved my IS for the rear shield ( better grip, better scratch protection) and the bodyguardz shield for the front ( was less tacky, less friction, less orange peel)

12. EACEsq macrumors newbie

unbiased opinion

OK... so I have read many reviews in this list. I have not tried anything but Ghost Armor and I have no particular loyalty to any product. I was using a hard case made by InCase and found it to be OK. During a recent visit to BestBuy, I was confronted with some Ghost Armor folks (BestBuy employees I believe) who convinced me to give it a try. Here is my experience: Overall, a good product IF INSTALLED WELL. The first installation, for which I was charged about $29.00 did not go perfectly. It was not terrible, but the curved back of the iPhone seems to be tough to fit perfectly. The guys let it dry a little too long or not long enough and I ended up with some small creases at the rounded corners. Two days later, this afternoon, I brought it back and pointed out the imperfections to the guys at BestBuy. I also mentioned that my InCase case was difficult to reinstall and even more difficult to remove since the Ghost Armor application. To their credit, they acknowledged the difficulty with the cases and admitted that they had similar experiences with their own experiments. They also admitted that the wrinkle was unsatisfactory and immediately offered to reapply the Ghost Armor at no charge. They acknowledged that the case likely would not fit correctly and offered a refund if I wanted to go back to using a case instead of the G.A. I decided to give the G.A. another chance since I had already invested in it.

After allowing it to dry for a few hours, during which I really treated it delicately, the second installation is much better. There are no visible wrinkles or curled edges. I watched the installer apply the G.A. painstakingly and I think that makes a big difference. I think I understand what people are talking about when they describe "Orange Peel" with the product. Held at just the right angle, there is a VERY slight distortion/texture as opposed to the naked glass of the iPhone (I have a 3G S). The finish is smooth enough that I can't imagine anyone noticing it without specifically looking for it with the iPhone turned off. I am very picky and would never have noticed it were it not for this forum. I am completely satisfied with the optical clarity of the G.A. product. I have no frame of reference to compare it to any other, competitive product. I suspect they are all pretty similar and much has to do with the individual who does the installation.

Overall, the film is smooth to the touch and invisible. I do feel the edges of the film on my fingertips when I touch the sides of the phone, but I do not find this to be annoying. I wipe the surface regularly with a lens cloth (the kind used for glasses) and that works well to polish the surface to a perfect gloss. I wish I could use my hard case with the G.A. but the slight amount of added thickness makes that too difficult. However, the G.A. allows me to put the phone in my pocket or a belt case without the hard cover and without worrying about it getting scratched. I would not believe any claims about drop-resistance. I suspect that the G.A. would not be damaged in a drop, but the internal electronics or glass screen probably would be. A hard case is probably slightly better protection against a drop onto a hard surface. Something like G.A. is better for scratch resistance. If you still want a hard case, you can squeeze it on, but getting the case off the iPhone will be a major battle and you risk damaging the iPhone in the process. If you want to use the phone in a belt case or in your pocket without a silicone or plastic case, a Polyurethane film like G.A. may be a good solution. They claim a lifetime warranty against scratches or peeling, but that may be tough to enforce a year or more in the future without the receipt. Still, for $29.00, it's not terribly expensive and should protect the iPhone/iPod case against scratches. My iPhone body was already showing some buildup of dust or pocket lint inside the hard case, which likely would have scuffed the case over time. A film product should prevent that whether the phone is used with a hard case or with the clear coating alone.

Long term durability remains to be seen and would likely vary from user to user. Very little protects against dropping. A hard case may offer a little shock protection that a film coating cannot and a hard case is tough to use on top of the coating. Then again, the hard cases are tough to use if you want to put the phone in a belt pouch. It's a matter of personal preference and how you plan to use the phone.

Initial quality seems to depend upon how meticulous the installer is. That said, the BestBuy employees at my local store (T.J. and Adam - I think - the the location on Tatum Ave. near Paradise Valley Mall in Phoenix, AZ) were more than happy to admit that the installation was less than perfect and did not bat an eyelash as reapplying it again at no additional charge. I felt as though they could not have done more from a customer service perspective.

There... I have no brand or product loyalty at all (except to Apple as a long time user and fan). I am confident that Ghost Armor and it's competitor products are pretty comparable when each is applied carefully. The real question is whether to go with a polyurethane film vs. a case. That is a matter of preference. Some of the cases tend to block the small speakers at the bottom of the iPhone or interfere with docking. They may provide better protection against dropping and can be changed to suit the user's mood, needs, outfit, whatever. The Ghost Armor can be removed without residue if you don't like it. They may even give you a refund if that's the case. If not, you'll be out about $30 if you don't like it. I am reluctant to try anything that cannot be undone so this seemed like something worth trying. If I end up hating it for some reason, I'll peel it off and go back to a hard case with a screen protector. So far, despite a minor hiccup with the first application that was corrected without hassle, the product seems pretty slick. I'll be the first one to post a follow-up if I end up hating it for any reason.

13. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

wow, did you sign up just to post this? :rolleyes: good job on your 1st post. :rolleyes:

14. ghostarmorscam macrumors newbie

ghostarmorscam.com

Looking for people who want to submit their Ghost Armor experiences. I started a site call ghostarmorscam.com. If you have had a bad experience with Ghost Armor, whether it be customer service, product issues (peeling, orange peel, etc.) email me so I can feature it on the site. Their are a lot of people who are having issues with Ghost Armor, especially on the Iphones and Ghost Armor refuses to address it. Thanks. ghostarmorscam@yahoo.com

15. 0101001 macrumors 6502

I will be doing a full review on the product so check the iPhone link below.

16. bouldermac macrumors member

I just installed the Full Invisible Shield from Zagg this weekend.

The Orange Peel is definately visible...like another reader posted, it looks like the skin of an orange, but no as defined. The 'peel' is not as bad as the shield I had on my Storm.

I'm thinking about taking the film off of the front. The display still looks good, but the feel is rubbery and the orange peel is annoying. I like the protection, but not sure if it is worth it at this point.

Not really sure what my other options are at this point....

17. brig2221 macrumors 6502

Your post is my exact same situation. I paid over $30 to purchase the Zag Invisible Shield at Best Buy and had them install it.

I was really happy with the back, but not the front. The Orange Peel was almost too much for me. What really killed it for me was the rubbery feel. I couldn't drag my finger across the screen well and was having a few screen recognition issues.

I kept the shield on the back which looks great, and removed the film on the front.

18. caralck macrumors member

I had this placed on my ipod touch last year and didn't notice any orange peel effect. maybe I had a person who did a really good job? He did take off his first application because he didn't like the way it turned out and put on a new one. I also had them put it on before I ever used it so not sure if that matters (ie no dust or micro scratches that I did to it). Or just don't have sensitive enough eyes? Or just a lower resolution of the ipod touch makes it not noticeable? Hmm...I was going to get this for the iphone. It shouldn't interfere with the front or back camera right? Looks like there are cutouts for those. It may be stupid but I was thinking of getting the zagg applied and then putting a gelaskin on top of that and then using a bumper though I worry about droppage issues since I tend to drop my blackberry quite a bit

19. hofnar macrumors regular

hofnar

I recently bought a ZAGG shield for my Iphone 4. Does it leave a film you cant remove when you take it off? thats the only thing I am worried about. Im going to be stuck with this tacky glue I cant remove.

20. bouldermac macrumors member

Nope

I finally caved in and took the front cover off of mine last night...that rubbery feel and orange peel were pissing me off.

There was 0 residue on the phone from the screen.

Hope this helps!

21. shawnna macrumors newbie

I just had this installed on my new IPhone 4 last Saturday. I love it so far.

22. calvy macrumors 65816

All I know is the Ghost Armor guys in the mall near me annoy the crap out of me. I wouldn't let them touch my iPhone, even thought they've tried their best to convince me to let them.

My take, all these vinyl shields are the same. Too rubbery for the screen, and they have the same feel as your grandmother's couch that had the vinyl protection on it. Though I have to admit, I'm thinking about ordering some bodyguardz after reading this thread, for the back only. I'm also thinking about trying Radtech's product out, since they are a local company.

23. parker770 macrumors member

"Orange peel" is a term that was originally commonly used in the automotive paint/body world to describe the way that a poorly/improperly painted surface reflects light. As others have said, it resembles the texture of the skin of an orange. Here is an example of orange peel on a DIY auto paint job:
    [​IMG]

As far as the orange peel present on protective films, the only personal experience I have is with the Zagg IS. I picked one up after I bought my iP4, and it was my first time installing such a product. I was pretty unhappy with the result, as there was a significant orange peel effect. After a few weeks, the film began lifting off also, so I took the opportunity to get a replacement through Zagg.

The second time around, I was much more conscious of trying to keep the surface smooth, and it definitely came out much better. There is still very slight irregularities in the way the surface reflects light, but it is minor enough to not bother me.

I would be interested in seeing good pictures of these different films though, just to see if they are that much better. My new Zagg looks like it may start to peel up as the old one did from where it contacts the bumper on my iP4. If I have to replace it again, I will likely try another product even though I still have the lifetime replacement option, just to see if other products have better appearance, as well as better adhesion.

24. Varoun macrumors newbie

Ghost Armor is worth its price IMO

Hey guys I cant vouch that GA is better than IS but I have GA on my iPhone 3gs and it works great. Minimal orange peel look - Some of the best protective stuff I have used - just starting to peel in one corner on a strip around the bezel (after a year of use!) most of the other stuff was eBay junk. I got mine at a mall in Florida while on vacation and the guy installed it and said I could get it replaced any time for free and just pay $5 if I wanted it reinstalled by GA salesperson(guaranteed proper installation). My only beef is that he told me there was a location at Eaton Center in Toronto but it looks like there is NOT ANY IN TORONTO/ONTARIO! otherwise its a great product!

- I realize I'm new but I stumbled upon this forum while searching for a Toronto location for GA and decided to sign up and post. I DO NOT WORK FOR GHOST ARMOR NOR AM I AFFILIATED WITH THEM!

25. e5volcano macrumors regular

or you can get the Powersupport HD Crystal with or without Antiglare