Invisible shield acne on new aluminium macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by radionickhead, Nov 19, 2008.

1. radionickhead macrumors regular

Currently in the UK, and I purchased an aluminium macbook the day after they were released, and also ordered invisible shield on halloween with the 40% discount. Treated the laptop like a child in fear of scratching it e.t.c
    The invisible shield never came on the predicted date, so I e-mailed Zagg and was told I were to recieve a new one.
    I finally got it on Saturday and began installing the shield. I thought it would be easy but it took about an hour and the plastic wasn't a perfect fit on the macbook at all, and some of the stickers I had no idea where they were to be applied. That being said, I waited 24 hours for the film to settle before turning on my laptop as instructed.
    The first thing I did is remove the film off the trackpad as the friction felt weird and I lost sensitivity with three/four finger swiping. None the less I was more worried about protecting the palm rest from gradual wear, and the outer body of the mac. Anyway, little gas bubbles developed all over the outer body of the mac, and palm rest e.t.c
    Apparently this was normal after reading the instructions, and would subside in 2-3 days. It's been day 5 now, and my macbook still looks like a teenager on prom night. I reported this to Zagg and they've been kind enough to offer sending another invisible shield which is great. But I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems with this product?

Mine was:
    - NOT a perfect fit for the macbook
    - lost sensitivity on track pad
    - had some stickers I found no use for
    - developed laptop acne gas bubbles

Anyone else?

Edit: after checking with one of the zagg employees , apparently I was also missing 1 of the two bottles needed for application, lovely.

2. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

if you used enough solution, or even created you own with some diswashing soap and warm water you probably would not have had the bubbles under the shield

3. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Invisible shield is much like a 3M paint protection product and if not enough solution is removed in the initial process, it will "pock" up and look spotty. What is the solution that they ship it with like?

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

To each their own, but why would you want to wrap your MacBook in a product like invisibleSHIELD? It's a computer, not jewelry. It's meant to be used, thus it's only normal to look used in due time. But, as I stated: to each their own. A little wear doesn't bother me. Besides, these new aluminium MacBooks will probably look better a year from now, than one year old plastic models.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I wear three rings and a watch. My wife's old 12" PowerBook looked trashed it got so scratched up. So I ordered a BestSkinsEver. Will it look as good as without it? Not quite. But it will keep it from looking as bad as that PowerBook and I know I can handle it without worrying about what I'm wearing it brushing it up against.

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

depends... if you're gonna sell it after 6mo to a year, it's a good idea... but if you're gonna use it for a few years then I don't think it's gonna matter too much. I just take care of my machines personally. My MacBook is a year old now and it's just a little swirly on top and there's no discoloration happening.

7. Gene Parmesan macrumors newbie

I tried the invisibleSHIELD as well on my MB Aluminum. I also got one or two bubbles that looked like they were filled with liquid that I couldn't get out. I decided to take it off as it weren't going away.

The invisibleSHIELD that I applied to the bottom sort of overlapped ever so slightly over the battery cover which was a little annoying. Furthermore, before I had applied it there, my MacBook wouldn't go over about 64°C when watching a video. While the invisibleSHIELD was applied it went up to a hot 71°C while watching the same video. After taking off the plastic that I applied to the bottom, the temperature went back down to a cooler 60 - 64°C.

The only pieces I have left are on the sides of the MacBook, these are good enough for the occasional "bump".

I'm sure that when applied right (perhaps if you practice putting a couple invisibleSHIELDs on), it does it's job.

Perhaps my case/issue was an isolated one, don't rely on my report of the temperature rise unless someone else mentions having experienced it.

I like the product's concept, it's a nice protection to have especially if you plan on selling your MacBook in the distant future and would like to advertise on the eBay with the following:
    "Has been protected with plastic shielding since day 1, no scratches guaranteed".

I don't know if I'd give it a second chance, I think I'll just be more careful with the MacBook from now on.

A few alternative ideas and thoughts:
    With regards to the palm rest, I have 2 thin pieces of foam cushion that I put on it when using the MacBook. These are mainly to protect my wrists because I think the edge of the MB can feel sharp after an hour or two of typing work. I suppose they also protect it from "hand oil" that can build up over time.

I wouldn't put any shielding on the trackpad itself. The traction would get worse. Besides, it's made of glass which means it's a lot easier to clean than it's plastic predecessor.

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Hmm i'm curious about temperature increases too considering my bodyguardz is coming in the mail today.

9. Gene Parmesan macrumors newbie

Well, don't give up on it before you get it.

If you can, monitor your temperatures (watching videos is good) before you apply it.

Then, try the exact same test after applying the bodyguardz. I don't think that the part that goes on the lid affects the temperature. It's the part that goes underneath that "might"* be a troublemaker.

It'd be great if you could let us know how it goes!

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

From my understanding the BodyGuardz is the thickest of the three films, and the BestSkinsEver is the thinnest. I got the BodyGuardz and had a bad experience in installing it, so I am sending it back and am waiting for my BSE to arrive.

11. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies guys, to answer a common question already answered, the reason I'm covering it with invisible shield is in order to re-sell again in a while, and the fact that its been protected should theoretically raise its value. I'm not going to sell it if I find it's still doing it's job in a years time - to be honest the only thing I feel is lacking in the current macbook is a dedicated graphics card, so I figured I'd apply the shield and if new revisions of the macbook are released with a minor change in price then I can cover the difference in price after selling it.
    It's unlikely the revision will be that big of a difference but considering the invisible shields were selling for so cheap on the day it seemed like a bargain. Anyway the people at zagg have been very helpful and they're reshipping another shield for me. Hopefully the application will go alot more smoothly this time around. I was mainly more concerned about protecting the palm rest as my hands tend to get sweaty and over time this would probably cause discolouration.

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

The film is elastic, so go easy on the squeegy. Try contracting the film if it looks over size. I found myself pushing the corners back in over and over again for about half an hour before it stays.

For the bubbles, use lots of solution. Spray a little bit on the laptop too. Make sure the bubbles are solution bubbles, not air bubbles. Solution bubbles will dry out in a couple of days and disappear.

13. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Grrr just got home and found my Bodyguardz in the mail. I was excited...until I realized it was the wrong size! Turned out getting the 15" macbook pro bodyguardz instead :mad:

Also just received my Photodon antiglare screen protector as well

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Please take some photos. I want to know if it actually dulls the screen colors.

15. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Photodon screen protector was a bust. It provided good antiglare, but it washed out the colors with a white hue.

Ended up taking it off. I can deal with the reflections as long as the colors are bright and crisp.

The reflection don't even bother me now.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

That's what I thought, but some one on this forum argued that it didn't affect the colors (I don't know if it's the same brand of film though). Thanks for the feedback, I won't bother with it then.

17. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

I was wondering ..before i even order this IShield.... if you decide to remove it say after 6months will it leave a sticky residue after words since you used this solution to stick it?

18. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Last time I removed mine after 1-2 months, it was flawless. I haven't removed one after a long time, like 1-2 years, but I can't imagine that to be different.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Been using invisibleSHIELD for a long time, so I'm pretty happy with them and I ordered the one for the new MBP. Will be here next week.

I learned from experience not to choose the first class mail. Also you only need 1 bottle; if it runs out, just refill it with tap water, shake, and re-use!

20. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

I still haven't recieved my new invisible shield...and the gas bubbles are still there..It's also collecting filth on some corners I might just remove it already..
    hurry it up zagg :[

21. grajohnson75 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't say mine was "perfect" either, but it was cut pretty well.

I agree with you 100%. I could barely get my cursor to move let alone do gestures. This doesn't really matter though since the track pad is made of glass... according to Apple it is supposed to be more wear-resistant.

The first time around (I ended up ordering a replacement) I couldn't figure out what those long stickers were for. I thought that they forgot to cut holes for the ports. However, I learned that they actually wrap around the corners of the machine. It would be nice if Zagg included some sort of diagram with each invisibleSHIELD that described where each sticker is supposed to go.

I am sorry to say, that it purely your fault. Like others have stated, you might not have used enough solution when you were installing. Oh well, we all make mistakes... life goes on. I recommend, before you install your second invisibleSHIELD, watching the "pros" install the product on the MacBook Air... it provides some useful information and it helped me tremendously. Here's the link.

Make sure you check out their website for other installation tips!! They are really helpful!

Good luck!

22. Gene Parmesan macrumors newbie

Has anyone taken the time to note the Aluminum MacBook temperature before and after applying the shield?

23. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

the 2nd installation went more smoothly...
    But even so in order to fit the speaker hole and power button, as well as cover the trackpad in the right place I had to cut the actual shield in two places so it wouldnt overlap.

Could you take pictures of where you used the long bits? I agree with you its quite silly that no instructions are given. I checked the application of the shield on the air when I did it my first time as well and it didnt help really

24. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

Just to add, the second time around I was alot more careful and there are no gas bubbles, but even so I had to cut it twice to get it to fit properly without overlapping

25. tomacintosh macrumors regular

I've never understood people making their laptops look stupid with sticky plastic all over them. I bought a second hand white MacBook from eBay about a year ago and it had them protectors on, it made the thing look cheap and it took me the best part of 2 hours to get them off with white spirits. Fluff and dust always ends up getting under them no matter what you do.

I've had my new Alu MacBook for nearly a month now and I can honestly say the anodizing on the thing must be 100 times better than the old pressed Alu MacBook Pro/PowerBooks because I haven't got a scratch on it at all. I don't see the point in Apple spending thousands on research to get the perfect feel for a trackpad only for someone to stick some sellotape over it :eek:

Each to their own I guess, but I just want to let you know the new MacBook seems like a tough cooky :D