Invisible Shield...anyone bought it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Aravintht, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

As im sure you all remember zagg.com emailed customers about the 3G iPhone invisible shield...

has anyone bought it yet considering there is a 20% discount at the moment?
    I just did and got the free shipping to the UK.

just a quick question, i looked at the videos about applying it, looks like you spray/mist the phone and the actual shield. When you squeegee the water based solution , will it not damage the iPhone? eg some went into the speaker or under the home button?

anyone had any experience with the current gen iPhone?

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

My buddy has this and it looks and feels great. No bubbles at all! I'm getting it for my 3G iPhone for sure

3. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

meh.

It's fine for maybe a month. it does what it does and is durable. My only complaint is dust and lint builds up around the seams and if you wear dark denims some of the blue builds up on the skin.

I ended up going caseless aside from a skin on the screen

4. RasaFrasa macrumors member

That's true, I ended up replacing mine every few months (I bought the bestskinsever for a fraction of the price) but they always worked as advertised and I already pre-ordered one for my iPhone 3G.

5. M0bile macrumors regular

Fellowes WriteRight Universal Screen Protectors

Best thing ever for mobile devices.

6. Fireman52SFD macrumors member

I have it in my original iphone. i ordered the front and back and ended up with it only on the front. The back ended up cut up in the trash. It is very hard to put on. I watched all the youtube videos on it and didnt believe them. Trust me it is very tricky. But it looks great on the screen and protect it well.

7. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

I had one of these for my ipod touch and now my Iphone and they work great, application is a hassle but it is worth it. Little advice to those who get the lent build up where the edge of the case goes over the Iphone, use an exacto knife and cut a sliver off to make it fit perfectly, def a great buy.

Also use the code 'pcworld20' at checkout for a nice %20 discount

8. Love Juice macrumors regular

great product. it gives you just the right amount of extra texture while holding it, but doesnt sacrifice the touch screen at all. i had it on my 1st phone b4 i had to replace it in december. its a lil bit of a pain to install around the corners if you use the back. if it isnt flush, after a while it will start to discolor a bit (yellow).

9. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

I've gotten them as well, and the application was a real hassle. The trick with the back piece is to barely apply any spray: this way the back cover does not slip around and it is easier to position.

Oh, yeah, I do like them.

10. Love Juice macrumors regular

great product. it gives you just the right amount of extra texture while holding it, but doesn't sacrifice the touch screen at all. i had it on my 1st phone b4 i had to replace it in december. its a lil bit of a pain to install around the corners if you use the back. if it isn't flush, after a while it will start to discolor a bit (yellow).

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm the owner of a Naked 8GB iPhone, thanks to InvisibleShield. I picked it up and had it installed at the MWSF '08, for free. I've ordered the new 3G iPhone IS yesterday, and hopefully it will show up shortly. I'll keep you all posted. :cool:

12. Aravintht thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick responses ladies and gents!

I guess i'll be using little spray on the back, making sure it all lines up properly and expect to change it every few months!

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've had the same IS on my iPhone since January '08 MWSF and there's never been a problem with needing to replace it. It hasn't discolored nor has it peeled. In fact, it's such a great fit, that I'm able to place my iPhone in a Belkin Acrylic Clear Case and clip it to my dashboard or on my briefcase and watch Movies or locate a restaurant rather easily. :cool:

14. dantman072 macrumors newbie

BEWARE of the InvisibleSHIELD!!!!

Unfortunately, it looks like I am too late to help the person who originally posted this question, but hopefully I'm not too late to help others:

DO NOT buy the InvisibleSHIELD for ANY reason for any of your devices/phones! The spray you use to install this product got under the touchscreen on my HTC Touch Pro and destroyed it! When I contacted ZAGG (the makers of this crap product) about this issue, they said their warranty only covers the InvisibleSHIELD itself and refused to pay to have my phone repaired or replaced!

I would steer clear of this product and get something that won't potentially destroy your phone - stay as far away from the ZAGG company (and all of their products) as possible!

15. STYF macrumors member

It's a liquid just like any other liquid. You need to be careful.

16. MRTaylor macrumors newbie

That really sucks for you.

Fortunately I never had those problems. I have the shield on my 3GS (not on the touchscreen, just back and top/bottom strips) and I have to say it's awesome. I know 3 people that all installed it on the 3GS and all will attest to it's awesomeness. Just make sure you don't overuse the spray and I left my device powered off for about 16 hours (zagg recommends at least 12 hours after you apply to leave it off) and I've never had a problem. Easy to clean, adds grips to the back of the 3Gs and protects well.

17. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

You must have turned it on too early, it says you should wait like 24 hours or so, I had no problems with it.

18. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

For all the people that had problems with installation, that sucks. Out here ( Southern California ) they have Zagg kiosks outside of almost all Apple Stores where they do the installation for you for 10 bucks ... much worth it if you ask me. You can still get replacements for free, the installation is guaranteed to have a perfect fit with no bubbles for the first two weeks or they will reinstall for free. After the two weeks it's only 5 bucks for a reinstall including a brand new InvisibleSheild.

I love this product, it's much nicer than having to carry my iPhone in a case if you ask me.

Oh and for the "Keep off for 24 hours" crowd. They Zagg employees always turn mine on for me as soon as they finish the install and I've never had a problem. Their trick is to place the iPhone in front of a hairdryer set to "COOL AIR" ( NEVER USE HOT AIR ON ANY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT ). It helps to bond the shield, I then always set it on the hot dash of my truck while I drive, and it always comes out perfect.

You will have some small bubbles initially, but they usually all come out within 48 hours.

Keep it out of pockets, socks, cases and small places for the first 48 hours as well to make sure everything sets well.

Good luck!

EDIT: This should be in the iPhone accessories forum, I'll request it to be moved so people can find it more useful.

19. firedogut macrumors regular

i second what xbuddycorex says. the case is great.

you are not to spray the liquid onto the phone. that is the mistake so many people make. i don't get it why would you spray your phone with liquid?

i also second using the zagg stores in the malls. 10 bucks and they install it for you. these guys do between 10-20 phones a day. they are very good about it.
    do not let BESTBUY do it. i've heard they spray so much on the phone that they are known to screw phones up then not replace them.

most issues with this case are from poor install jobs. From the stand point of a easy case to install this product gets a F-. from the stand point of protection. it gets a A+.

you also HAVE to let it dry for at least 24 hours. that means put it on the counter and not use the phone. during the first hour or so i would check on it every 10-15 min. if the corners are coming up you can press them down. as the shield dries it becomes more tacky and sticks better. after 24 hours lint does not stick to it

20. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Hi all, i just put a zagg screen shield on my 3GS, so far so good. Can someone comment about how theres is holding up ? I wonder how much better the zagg is compare to the PS Crystal. I like the zagg so far and its pretty clear.

21. kylelnsn macrumors newbie

Dunks iPhone in bucket.............. opps

22. Justin.MTT macrumors newbie

Justin.MTT

I don't have it for the iPhone, but I do have it for the Android G1 and has been on pretty much since release. No bubbling, no peeling, nothing. Not even a scratch haha.

23. NStocks macrumors 65816

I've had my full shield for about 3 months and the corners has peeled... I contact ZAGG and they are giving me a 'free' replacement, I just need to pay shipping. It comes from USA, I live in the UK so it will cost me around £3 delivery, but they want me to send the old one back. I've looked at how much it will cost to send it to Salt Lake City, as stated, and it will cost around £6. So along with the new shipping costs it will end up costing me around £9.

Has anyone from the UK dealt with ZAGG replacements ?

I'm not sure I want to pay £9 for it again, when it's a ' free ' replacement.

24. Gumiho Android macrumors newbie

Invisible shield complaints- warranty tricky

I HAD MY PHONE INSTALLED WITH THE SHIELD AT THEIR KIOSK IN THE MALL. IN A FEW WEEKS, AN EDGE DETACHED FOR NO APPARENT REASON, LOOKS LIKE THE GLUE DISSOLVED DUE TO HEAT FROM THE DEVICE. AND THEY DONT WANT TO REPLACE. TOLD ME THE WARRANTY WAS TO BE CLAIMED ONLINE, AND I HAVE TO SHOULDER THE SHIPPING. I LIVE IN THE PHILIPPINES AND THE SHIPPING WILL COST MORE THAN PURCHASING A NEW ONE. WHEN I HAD IT INSTALLED I WAS TOLD IT HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY AND WILL JUST HAVE TO BRING IT IN FOR REPLACEMENT. I FEEL SCAMMED. IT'S SIMPLY NOT WORTH IT. I FEEL CHEATED BY FALSE ADS. BE FOREWARNED.:mad: