Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Hey all,

curious if I am the only one having this situation, i have had both invisible shield and bestskinever (currently on my laptop). I have notice that both stain over time either picking up colors from your clothes or oil (ie, wrist area)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I've never had one on a laptop, but I've had several on iPods and BlackBerrys. I never experienced any staining that I could notice, and I had the iPod for over a year and the BlackBerry for about a year. The BlackBerry got very heavy use, and the only thing I noticed after a length of time was that the edges of the skin were getting a little grimy.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
you can always take them off and clean them and then re-apply them

You've been able to re-apply InvisibleShield/BestSkinsEver? The couple that I've removed were completely unusable once you take them off. The material that I've seen in the past, in their application instructions I think, also says that after a certain period of time (a few hours) after application, they can no longer be re-applied if removed. That was certainly the case with my BlackBerry and iPod; I removed the skins before I sold those devices, and the adhesive was no longer functional after pulling them off.

If you're going to try and clean it, just use a damp rag with a touch of soap while it's on your MacBook. The MacBook should be off, obviously, and make sure there's not too much water in the rag so it doesn't run off into the keyboard or something.

imMAColata

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
InvisibleShield defo stains. I put one on my iPod. The black imitated velvet pocket you get with the pod makes nasty black/blue stains on the invisibleshield.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
InvisibleShield defo stains. I put one on my iPod. The black imitated velvet pocket you get with the pod makes nasty black/blue stains on the invisibleshield.

That's exactly what I had. I tried cleaning with rags/windex anything i can get my hands on. nope... doesn't come off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.