Invisible Shield / Crystal Film

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by crees!, Jul 16, 2008.

1. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

2. coolb0yalex macrumors member

I bought the IS and its working as advertised. The one big problem with it is applying the film onto the back of the device. The front is easy, but i didn't use it b/c the screen is already scratch resistance. I would recommend using IS, but applying the back film is a b***h. :D

3. cynr4eva macrumors member

Exactly what I'm doing.

4. CKtoph macrumors 6502

I was also thinking of doing the exact same thing as well, but I want to make sure that everything would fit how it should.

Does the back part of the IS cover the chrome along the front/sides as well? If that's the case, then I'm thinking it should be fine.

5. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

me too

6. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Okay. On travel and stopped by an Apple store. Ended up speaking to 4 different reps and they all said to get the Anti-glare Film Set (instead of Crystal Film Set). Finger prints and smudges have really been bugging me. So after talking to them all (a couple of them already having it on their phone) and reading the packaging it is the Anti- over the Crystal. And to note the Anti-Glare specifically states resists smudges and fingerprints. The Crystal does not. So that's what I got, the Anti-Glare. Seeing it in person definitely helped but the stated resists smudging definitely sold me.

On to application, it was VERY easy. I spent a crazy amount of time trying to wipe all the lint off and then I realized there is a strip in there that you place on the screen, press down, then remove to get rid of any lint. Then lining up the cover was easy too; and you get a 2nd one too as a back up.

So far it rocks. It doesn't smudge as much, isn't as noticeable and wipes of quite easily on my shirt. Also, my fingers don't stick like they did before and now glide smoothly across.

I would give this a 10 out of 10. I know it's not really for serious protection but for the reduction of prints, it rocks.

Also, there were many slim-line cases I was interested in. They would be instead of getting just the backing from Invisible Shield. PowerSupport makes one for the iPod Touch, but don't seem to have one out for iPhone just yet. There were some from Griffin, Contour and others that were quite slim and I might go with them to bypass the fuss of applying Invisible Shield. So that's my take on it all.

7. stiphone macrumors regular

Well, here's my setup for my 16GB 3G iPhone. I used invisible shield for the back of the iPhone, used the anti-glare power support film for the front screen and a Marware CEO holster to carry it around. I'm loving this setup as I have experimented with almost ok kinds of covers with my previous iPhone and I think that this works perfectly for me. The invisible sheild protects the back of the iPhone wonderfully and I love the anti-glare film for the screen. It keeps off smudges. I used to have the crystal support film for my previous 2G iPhone and I hated the fingerprints and smudges that comes with it. Carrying it with the Marware CEO holster is just an additional protection for my iPhone when I'm placing it into my pocket or bag. That's for me!!

8. mntentman macrumors regular

The anti-glare film definitely resists fingerprints and smudges better, but it does in my opinion give a tiny bit of a frosted look to the front. The crystal is virtually invisible. Some prefer one, some the other.

9. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yeah, I was at the Apple store in Cincinnati (Kenwood) buying the PS Crystal Film and happened to be in line with someone who was buying the Anti Glare version. We were comparing notes and data collected fromt the forums as to which would be better and I suggested that we each buy our two packs and then exchange one with each other after paying. The other guy liked the idea and we did just that. Given I used the Crystal Film on my first gen iPhone, I'll try the Anti Glare first to see if I like it. As far as the back goes I'm now debating if I'll go the IS route or continue to go "naked". It's actually been holding up well in the pocket for a week. No scratches whatsoever. I must admit though that I don't set it down on the tables in our home (mostly granite or other stone) without something underneath it.

10. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i just got the power support crystal film for the 3g for mine tonight from the apple store, one of the genius bar guys put it on for me, he must put a lot on because he got it perfect first try.

its awesome, fits perfect and it looks AND feels like its not even there. no 'orange peel' when you look at it from an angle. best screen protector imo

11. pflau macrumors 6502

I bet you got some scratches on the Apple logo on the back!

12. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

:D Yea, I have a few. Nothing major but just some little knicks here and there. Still it bothers me enough to warrant getting something for the backing.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, that Apple logo is a killer. I tried some InvisibleShield (I've installed it on every iPod I've owned since my 20GB 3G, plus three DS Lites) but despite having tons of practice with that stuff, I managed to completely ruin TWO sets. :mad:

I'd really like a simple film for the back, not so much to cover the whole thing but just the middle 'strip' which is where the scratches come when you set the iPhone down on a table, etc. But so far, it seems like it's all or nothing. I'm not too keen on throwing away another $50 on film for the back, but I'm also not too happy seeing scratches back there. :(

14. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

i got the powersupport Crystal screen protector.

In my experience it shows less fingerprints and smudges than naked, but nothing like the antiglare of course. the antiglare lets your finger slide very smoothly across the screen and shows NO fingerptrints or smudges. I stll opted for the Crystal though b/c I love the glossy look of the screen.

To each his own :) Verdict is though - You can't beat power support for front screen protection, and it was super easy to apply! I lined it up perfectly in about 20 seconds.

15. fatalcure macrumors newbie

get the power support front screen, its VERY easy to put on compared to IS and looks very good!
    I bought a pack and put it on 2 iphones...mine came out flawless but i got a lil lint under my wife's iphone (very hard to get out lint once it gets stuck on the sticky side of the case), but still looks good.
    Coupled w/ the black InCase protective cover for 3g (which is a damn nice case btw), we're all set :D

16. skorpien macrumors 68020

So I was browsing the Power Support site, and the descriptions of the Crystal Film and the Anti-Glare Film both state that they resist smudges and fingerprints. Now for my question. Is the Anti-Glare really that much better at resisting smudges and fingerprints? I've read that the Anti-Glare's clarity is less than that of the Crystal Film and I don't want to reduce the clarity of the iPhone. If the clarity is a non-issue, I'll go for the Anti-Glare. But if it is, or if the smudge/fingerprint protection is the same, I'd rather go for the Crystal Film.