Invisible Shield for Macbook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedJeans, Apr 28, 2010.

1. RedJeans macrumors member

I assume this is really difficult to apply (correctly) to a Macbook Pro because of how large the laptop is (in comparison to an iPod or cell phone or something).

Has anyone applied an Invisible Shield to their Macbook?

Thoughts?

2. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I actually think it's not bad applying it to a laptop. I've installed best skins ever/invisible shields on: a classic MBP, a unibody MBP, a regular MacBook, an iPod nano (fatty) and 2 iPhones, and I thought the iPhones were by far the most difficult/annoying.

The only real problems you need to worry about in applying an IS/BSE on a laptop are not stretching the skin out of shape, and also making sure the skin doesn't stick to itself while you're holding it.

Actually lining it up and getting it to stick down seemed easier with the larger surface. I posted pics of my finished products awhile back, I'm sure you can find them if you search.

I had no problems or issues with my IS/BSE on my laptops. The only reason I don't have one currently is because I swap computers too often and it was getting tedious/expensive to keep buying new ones. I didn't notice any real increase in heat, and they definitely kept my machines scratch-free.

Good luck.

3. mike4realz macrumors newbie

yeah i put one on my macbook pro...it was actually very easy and looks great so far

4. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

I called Best Buy today and they said their Geek Squad would install the Invisible Shield on my Macbook Pro for $30.

Do you think that's a reasonable price? Do you think I should go for it?

Or should I just do it myself? (keep in mind, I've never really done it before)

5. caonimadebi macrumors regular

The whole process take 30 minutes, so $30 is actually a reasonable price if they can do a professional job.
    I've applied it on many devices many times, and have only recently gotten good at doing it. On the MBPs, the most important thing is to not let the skin overhang the edge of the laptop (especially the screen), however slightly. It's best to let the skin recede just a hair behind the edge of the aluminum, so dirt will not get caught by skin as you open and close the MBP.

Other than that, it is a great product and really protects the MBP from scratches. I have been buying mine from Clear Protector, which offers the full body kit for $25 with free shpping (coupon code was "military", not sure if it still works), still cheaper than BSE.