Invisible Shield for MAcbook... Reviews

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anirudh, Mar 18, 2008.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

Anyone using the FULL BODY INVISIBLE SHIELD for Black macbook? Was thinking of getting one. Has anyone used it? Any opinions? N how is the silicone skin for the palmrest and the keypad?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I had one on my white macbook. It was really nice, and worked well. I'm not putting on my black macbook though because it doesn't really get scratched.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

That looks awesome! I'm considering that for my iPod and my MacBook.
    For those not familiar, it's HERE
    Do you work for Invisible Shield? Can I get a discount?

4. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, no I dont :) Would have given away for free if I were... Anyways, what would be better, the INCASE HARDSHELL or the Invisible Shield??? Also, about the keyboard, how is the silicone skin cover? Any opinions on that one?

5. leepark macrumors newbie

6. kperrone macrumors newbie

kperrone

i have the invisible shield for my ipod touch. it's very nice. I actually only put the front on because i screwed up the back but after i messed it up i was playing with it, stretching it out and poking it with pens. I dunno what this stuff is made of but its pretty dang nice.

Very handy stuff.

7. mr. feeny macrumors member

Exact same contemplation here. I think I might invest in it for the Macbook, rather than for the ipod. Much more care involved for the notebook.

8. dthree36 macrumors regular

I have one on my MBA and so far I have no complaints, I did try the I skin keyboard cover and that is a waste of $$$. Invisible Skin is as good as a thin protector can get.

9. neith macrumors newbie

neith

I ordered an invisible shield for my psp and I'm not happy with it. I've tried installing it twice but both times I was unable to get it on with perfect alignment, and worse air bubbles wouldn't come out. I let it sit for a couple days as instructed, yet it turned out horribly. I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing too.
    (It also didn't help that they sent me a screen only item when I ordered the full face plate version and they wouldn't do anything about it.)

10. TygerMac macrumors newbie

I just ordered a Palm and Track Pad shield from Bestskinsever.com. Only cost me $10.99 shipped. I will write back in a few days once I have it installed and let you know how it works out. Why pay twice the price for a company name?

Thanks for the site link Leepark!

11. wannabe07 macrumors member

I've also got an InvisibleShield on my iPod Touch and I'm really happy with it. It wasn't that complicated to put on, but I would highly recommend watching their how-to video before you do it. Also, it took it a good week or so before it finally settled down and all the bumps worked themselves out. At first I was worried, since it didn't really look that good for the first few days, but I left it on there and now it looks great.

As for using it on a MacBook, it sounds like it would be a good idea, but it won't give you any protection against drops. Really all it does is prevent scratches and makes things look shiny. If there's another one out there that is similar and cheaper, by all means, go for it. But what was nice about the IS is that you use water (essentially) on the shield and your hands while you're installing it, so it's pretty forgiving if you get fingerprints or dirt on it while you're putting it on.

12. Masters macrumors newbie

Masters

You know, I bought an invisible shield for my cell phone and at the same time ordered one for my macbook as well. Here's the thing; I really do think it's a good product but in the corners and around the edges of the shield it collects dirt. I was also unsuccessful in applying the shield without having air bubbles.

I was given a replacement kit for my macbook because I screwed up the installation so bad. The product claims that upon removal of the invisible shield it would leave no sticky residue. This was not the case and for a minute there I thought I was screwed. After a while I was finally able to get it clean.

Also I want to point out that having the shield on the trackpad makes it much more difficult to navigate. It's much less responsive to your touch with the shield over it. I didn't like that. As I understand it, discoloration where the palm rest is was a defect of older macbook models.

Anyway, having completely taking off the invisible shield I noticed how much nicer my macbook looked without it. Now I don't even want to put the invisible shield back on. I'm just going to request a refund and buy an Incase Neoprene Sleeve. Well that's just my two cents. It's an ok product but ultimately I think it takes away from the Macbook's look and shine. I wouldn't spend fifty bucks to do that. Maybe you'll have better luck. :)

13. TheStu macrumors 65816

I originally ordered the InvisibleShield for my MacBook, and had it on there for a few months before it became so dirty that I got rid of it.

I then got the Palmrest trackpad cover from BestSkinsEver, and let me tell you.... absolute piece of crap.

It isn't as thick as the InvisibleShield, which when you are talking about scratch protection is important. Also, when I removed the InvisibleShield from my MacBook it was not at all difficult. And I only had one area on the bottom where sticky residue was left behind.

When I removed the BestSkinsEver from the trackpad/palmrests, it took me hours to get all the sticky residue of through a combination of scraping, isopropyl alcohol and elbow grease.

Pay the extra money for the better quality and easier removal.

14. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I second that the invisible shield is thicker and stronger than the BSE. I've had both for my MacBook and iPhone, and there's really no comparison. You can really tell the diference when you take them off. The BSE is so thin it just tears and gives. They might appear to be similar, but they are by no means identical products. This is one of those times you get what you pay for.

15. oc2pus macrumors member

Well, I do. I am extremely satisfied with it, apart from the trackpad becoming kind of unusuable. The invisibleshield applied to the trackpad of my MacBook is like a brake, your fingers won't slide over it ever again, especially not when the weather is getting warmer.

Apart from that, it is perfect.

Also, in comparison to the invisibleshield applied to my iPod nano, the MacBook's cover doesn't wear off. The iPod looks like it has been in use, whereas the MacBook looks shiny and clean. The corners of the iPod's shield looks as if they are becoming loose and lints (?) have become sticky underneath it from always carrying it around in my pockets. The MacBook is being transported inside a neoprene cover, no problems whatsoever.

16. dcains macrumors regular

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't have Macbook, but I have had the invisibleSHIELD on my Macbook Pro for a few months; no bubbles, no discoloring, computer is grippy and it looks great. I did manage to scratch it and one call got them to send me a new one free of charge--again installation was a cakewalk and just be generous with the spray and use a lot of it; just use the squeegee and push all the bubbles out; as with air bubbles, once again none at all; just a hairdryer and keep a towel handy to collect the excessive spray when your are squeegeeing.

As for the wrist area, I didn't use the invisibleSHIELD, I'm using a Moshi Palmguard; I bought the Palmguard first, so I don't want to remove it yet. Trackpad, I don't like the grippy invisibleSHIELD feel, so I'm using a PowerSupport Trackpad film for that.

I also have this on my iPod and it's perfect.

Anyways here's how grippy it is:

Yes that's my iPod Classic and the surface is my MBP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

slightly OT

just ordered the invisibleshield for my iPhone 3G and for a nixon watch(my first one was scratched to crap so i was amazed to find a shield for it)

but in the interest of sharing the love to this great board who have helped me with all my mac related n00b probs here are 2 one time only 20% discount codes for zagg.com. apply them at checkout!

first come first serve!

cm2wmd

g2rqzl

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Does anyone have invisible shield on a BLACK macbook? I want to see how you think about it, and perhaps some photos?

20. omarjk macrumors regular

Good one.

Thanks a lot for the code, I gave some time for longer-standing contributors to take advantage and in the end bit the bullet.

21. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

well i guess if you use a promo code posted on here,you could always post one if not two of the ones you get sent after ordering! ;) pass the :apple: love on!!

:)

22. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

When you go to check out, use the code pcworld20 and you will get 20% off. I don't recommend upgrading your shipping because both the skins I have ordered have come within 5 days. The grippy feel is also great. However, make sure you apply the corners correctly, because if you do not, dust will collect under the exposed areas. I have two correctly covered corners that are just fine, but the other two are a bit dirty. By the way, they also have great customer service...I *gasp* scratched my iPod Touch's cover, and they gave me no hassle about replacing it-all they wanted was $3.95 for standard shipping. I was so pleased that I bought another one for my Samsung Glyde. From now on, every portable electronic thing that I own will be covered by an invisibleshield.

23. applgeek macrumors member

3.95 is probably what it costs to make it and ship it. They wnted 4 bucks to replace a defective product?

BTW, the speck plastic case thing keeps the heat in and doesnt let you pull out the battery. Its like getting a large rainjacket that covers your entire body (including your face) and simply putting a hole in the top. you can breathe, but you're still hot.

24. TomsMacBook macrumors 6502

I've always found that it works quite well. It hasn't got hot with my usage, and I used it almost daily at school.

Don't know about yours, though. :p

25. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

idk if anyone has mentioned it, but you can buy the invisible shield at walmart.com. . assuming they're instock. it's about 2 dollars cheaper, but hey, 2 dollas is 2 dollas! i'm looking to buy one for my ipod touch. it's so pretty right now, and i'd hate to lose that in-aweness that i have for it.