Invisible Shield; Sponge vs. Spray

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Fast/Furious, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

So I bought the Zagg Invisible Shield today... but instead it came with some sort of sponge instead of the special spray I always hear about. Long story short, I tried the sponge and I got a lot of microbubbles and the corners didn't stick to my 3GS. I re-applied it but there was some lint/dust on the Shield so I washed it... they didn't come out. I tried installing it again but got fed up and returned it to get a real case. I put on a normal screen protector with soap+water solution and a credit card and there were absolutely zero bubbles.

My friend had the spray version from long ago and she said was so easy to put on. Am I just retarded or is it the sponge?

2. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

pretty sure the sponge wasnt for applying the solution...

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Wow, I've put many on and have never seen a sponge. Touching the sticky surface has always been a big problem. I can't see how that can possibly work. Didn't you get instructions?? Have you looked on the Zagg site. Is this the dry install version? :confused:

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I did see a video on youtube where it came with a sponge rather then spray.

The sponge was in a tear open moist bag.

They are out there. other than youtube I never saw though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx2dUT8WBo

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Sponge is stupid. Not sure why they would've sent that to you. Spray bottle works best since you don't have to worry about getting any lint or other objects on the protector prior to application.

6. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

I found a bowl of cold water and washing up liquid worked a treat, soaked shield in water, drip dry for few seconds, apply and credit card for bubbles, very carefully!

This got front and back on ip4 with zero bubbles and minimal orange peel effect.

If you get dust or dirt on sticjy side this is a good way to clean it too, just soak and rub middle to edge gentily.

Another tip, make sure fingers are wet before handling shield to prevent dirt transfer and finger prints :)

7. Fast/Furious thread starter macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

I bought it at London Drugs. It said to use the sponge over the device and then on the sticky side of the skin itself :( I'm trying to find a spray version in Canada but many stores only sell the sponge-type applicators.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Personally I don't like the wet application of screen protectors. Don't see the point in dousing your expensive phone with water just to apply a screen protector. I've been using the cheap eBay screen protectors with pretty decent results. You might wanna check them out. I got a 6 pack (front & back protectors) off eBay for only $4.

9. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

you cant go wrong with the cheap 6 packs.... in fact I am finding them better than the invishields, no peeling when taking the bumper on and off..

10. shng macrumors newbie

I could only find one ebay seller selling 6 Pack Front & Back Screen Protector, and it's for iphone 4. The seller is in UK, and the price is GBP 4.45. Is that what you guys are talking about? If so, can the Front & Back protector be used for iphone 3gs? Thx

11. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

I guess the front will fit the 3GS because of the same screen size but the back is completely different and will not fit...