Invisible Sticky Residue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Oct 28, 2008.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

Does Zagg really keep their word? i read somewhere on the forum otherwise

and when i had invisible shield for my ipod touch and removed it, it had the apple logo imprints and letterings. so it basically peeled off a thin layer of whatever the IS was on top of...

so would getting the IS for the MBP be pointless cause when i peel it off it would peel off some of the protective coating off of the aluminum?

thanks

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i doubt it would take off the coating if there is one. the aluminum is anodized, but i'm not sure about a coating.

3. sselemit macrumors member

4. sk47 macrumors member

unless the IS can perform reverse electroplating (...lol), it cannot remove the outer layer of the aluminum body.

5. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Definitely a Beavis & Buthead moment in there somewhere. :D

6. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

is there like some scientific explanation behind this or something?
    cause i know i mentioned this but what about my ipod touch situation.. how come the apple logo was ON the shield? could it just have been the imprint which just proves how 'memoryish' the sheild has?

7. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

The IS is a plastic layer with a traditional polyurethane adhesive, from my understanding. if you wish to remove excess adhesive, after removing the invisible shield, spray or place some acetone on a microfiber cloth, and rub out the adhesive. BE CAREFUL THOUGH, acetone can and may eat through any plastic it comes in contact with.

http://ask.metafilter.com/86619/Safe-way-to-remove-dried-super-glue-from-lid-of-aluminum-Macbook

the apple logo was probably a decal sticker, or something that the invisible shield stuck to, and that's why it came off when you took off your invisible shield. it isn't etched into the aluminum of the macbook.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Why use such a strong chemical? why not just use some citrus degreaser/elmer's goo gone.

9. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I'm probably wrong about the type of adhesive used, but it is most likely a chain of carbons whose structure can be broken by using acetone