InvisibleShield Nightmares

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ordo1980, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ordo1980 macrumors member

Ok, I'm too pissed off right now to make this long. So long story short - I got my order yesterday in from apple (MBP and iPod), and then I immediately put shields on my new MBP 13" and iPod Nano 16gig (BTS promo purchases) ... as soon as I received them. So yeah, I finished with the nano application at about 7:30/8pm last night, and right now, it doesn't even turn on. I finished with the mbp application last night at around midnight. Right now, my mbp boots up and works fine, but the mouse pad button doesn't work. Well, it sorta works. The cursor moves perfectly, but when I press the mouse button/pad down to click, that doesn't work. I'm running around my house screaming and cursing Zagg right now. I've put these shields on past ipods before with no problems ever. I didn't spray my equipment with loads of the application spray or anything, and I had a paper towel on standby all the time ready to soak up any excess moisture when I needed it. This is making me NUTS. What the heck do I do? Call Apple immediately, lie, and exchange? I'd imagine Apple will say this is my fault and it's because of the shield. My mbp is BTO, I got the 2.26 with 4gigs RAM. My iPod is engraved. HELP!!!! AHHH!!!!!

2. boston44 macrumors 6502

This is why I will never use Zagg. Everyone I know uses it and says it's the greatest, not so much. I would call apple and see what they can do, but I highly doubt, in fact almost am certain they won't do anything. It's a third party product and not apple brand. Call Zagg and tell them what happened..

3. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

To what affect? Couldn't I just call apple and tell them they were problems out of the box and just not mention the shields?

4. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

Yeah but don't do them Both at once post the iPod into apple care and take the computer into the store. I had a jailbreak go wrong once and posted it in because I was to chicken to fix it i got a refurb with no scratches lol.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At this point I believe you're wrong and helping you lie is not my cup of tea.

:rolleyes:

6. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think I could do that. 3hrs away from an apple store and I got both these over the phone. Bto mbp and engraved ipod.

7. boston44 macrumors 6502

Yes, you could do this.. However Apple is smart enough to know what problems will and will not occur out of the box. The shields could have messed with it due to too much spray, in which they would note. If you lie to them, they won't have any sympathy at all. Plus, if you send both in together, won't that look fishy?

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Did you turn them on and test them prior to putting the shields on? It could be legit problems in both cases (no pun inteneded).

The ipod being engraved (if apple did it) is not a problem for warranty returns - I went through two problem 1st gen nanos that were custom engraved and apple had no problems with the returns.

If it was indeed a problem with getting soapy water in on the zagg install, nut up, admit it was your error, and pay for the fixes.

9. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

How much would a repair for the iPod cost? With the aid of an external mouse I changed my prefs to touch to click so now i'm ok. but the press to click still does not work. If i truly did damage it with the shield i find it hard to believe that the pad would even work at all. Ideas?

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The click and the touch are two different physical connectors on the underside of the pad, so it's possible one was shorted or otherwise damaged by the soapy water. If you're okay with your mod, then great, otherwise it's most likely a pad replacement (or it may be as nasty as the water traveling down the pad connector to the logic board and damaging that connector).

The ipod repair cost depends on whats wrong with it. A pooed logic board will cost much more than a shorted battery or a damaged hard drive connector. Really, it depends on where the liquid went.