invisibleShield (Updated)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Apr 24, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just installed the InvisibleShield for my 17" MBP. It is quite easy to install after being generous with the ShieldSpray which lubricates the adhesive.

At first I was afraid of getting liquid all over the computer, but I kept a terrycloth around and it worked out.

I just have to complain that the pieces for the bottom don't match up too well and the wrist covers don't cover the parts above and below the touchpad I already had TrackFilm, but the InvisibleShield works better for the button, but so as well for the touchpad.

I tried my best to get rid of the air bubbles, but some appeared after it dried so there is no way to get rid of them short of removing the shield or using a razor (I will do neither). The top is a whole piece so it was difficult to align perfectly.

Appearance wise, it's pretty good, but like I said some pieces aren't cut to fit that well. For example the battery is round at the button, but the shield is cornered so the the manufacturer took a shortcut and just made the shield a bit shorter than the whole surface. Another issue is the screw holes are now covered. I've been told I'm suppose to punch them out with my fingers, but as much as I try they won't come out.

Apart from the appearance, everything is in order. However it feels my computer is bit hotter than before, but it feels cooler on the button. I think the shield as acting as an insulator which is good I guess since I won't burn myself. The bad part is the temperature will be higher, but that's what fans are for.

2. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't really review this, but I just wanted to update this for anyone looking to buy it.

I mentioned that the shield didn't not fit perfectly before: above and below the touch pad were not protected, sides were not protected, bottom was multiple pieces; well the shield wasn't exactly scratch proof, but they sent me a replacement for my machine and this new one fixed all the problems of before.

Also I don't have more heat and it's till a great insulator.

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Thanks for the post. I ordered a best skins ever for my MBP, which I plan on installing as soon as I return to the States from Australia.

I have been a repeat customer to BSE and have found their product to be excellent, both price-wise and quality-wise. I've had one on my ipod video, LG chocolate, PSP, and ipod nano 3G. The key with these types of products is careful, anal application without ignoring the directions for liquid. Usually people eff it up because they don't use enough liquid. I have found the non-ammonia windex method to be the best for me, personally.

I will post pictures and feedback once I get it on. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to display the beauty of the MBP uninhibited without fear of scratches.

4. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I know what you mean.

Yeah I tried to a BSE, but they didn't have one for the 17", so I went for the IS; after getting the IS, I got one for my iPod, phone, etc.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Give the bubbles a little time. I had a BSE on my Blackbook and there were a few bubbles when I first installed it. Over the course of a couple weeks they started going away. Eventually they all disappeared.

6. Eric. macrumors regular

I had an invisibleShield for my Samsung Glyde, was a real pain to install. I got the back on perfect, finally, besides having a speck of dust under it. :mad: Once the weather started getting warmer the corners started coming up (probably the humidity, or they may not have been holding good to begin with). I gave up on the front, too many things to line up perfectly and even when it wasn't on right it looked weird on the screen.

The bubbles did come out of the back after about a week, I planned on keeping that piece on until the corners started to come off.

7. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

You guys need a lot patience and use a lot of the spray. I know people who are afraid of spraying that liquid on, but turn off your computer and be very generous with the spray:

Makes it very easy to slide to a perfect fit and also makes it easy to squeegie the liquid bubbles out. Just keep a nice towel handy.

This would be my 4th application (after my former MBP, then a phone and iPod) and it took me about an hour at most; no bubbles whatsoever. Looks great.