InvisibleSHIELD vs BodyGuardz

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pflau, Nov 13, 2009.

1. pflau macrumors 6502

OK, after having my iPhone 3G in BodyGuardz for a year, I decided to replace the skin. Why does it need to be replaced? Well, two things have developed. One is that the skin is slightly too big so that one of the edges sticks out just a bit above the bezel. Lints and dirts stuck to it and it started to peel. The two flaps on one corner overlap ever so slight, and lints and dirt got underneath and they again started to peel. I wanted to go with a different skin just to try a different cut. I checked out the cut of IS and decided to give it a try. This is my impression.

First the skin texture really sucks. The orange peels are worse than peels on oranges. And the skin comes with blamishes - little nicks here and there that I don't know what they are. It also picks up the texture of anything you put the skin on. What it means is if you put your iPhone down on a grain of sand you would find a pin hole on the skin. However, the skin always heals itself so minor scratches simply disappear.

The skin is somewhat more grippy than BodyGuardz, such that I don't feel the need to overlay it with a piece of egrips.

Now the skin, once on, does not really look that bad at all. Yes the orange peels are bad, but you really have to look for them and you don't normally notice them.

So what is my verdict?? I will go with IS from now on. Why?? Well, the reason is the fit. InvisibleSHIELD basically totally nails it. Here is a link to my postings from last year where I outlined the steps that I had to take to get the BodyGuardz skin to fit. I needed to slit the corners to get the flaps to stay down, I needed to use an iron to flatten some air pockets. But IS, the skin just goes on perfectly. The only thing that I needed to do what to split the one corner around the camera lens to remove a tiny pocket caused by excessive material.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=523209&page=8

The most ingenious thing about the cut of the skin is that the corners are made in a cul-de-sac fashion. There are no shape corners and thus the skin stay the hack down.

These are the pictures after the skin has been on for about four weeks. There are some tiny lints around the edges because I keep the iPhone in my pocket. But the skin is still on perfect and does not lift. I am very happy and much prefer this to BodyGuardz. The BodyGuardz, while looks better, is not functionally better.

BTW, I use Power Support Anti-Glare for the screen. I would not use neither BodyGuardz nor IS for the screen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lollicup macrumors regular

100% agree

bse/IS rear skin + Bodyguardz front ( or PS antiglare) is the best combo money can buy without adding to much bulk

I really like the added grip of the IS rear shield ( you can stick it to glass :p )

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I purchased my IS at an IS kiosk just outside of my local Apple Store. For five bucks they'll install it for you and guarantee no bubbles. Even further they'll guarantee the installation for two weeks, so if it starts to lift or the bubbles don't disappear they'll reinstall a new one for free. It's so nice to not have to worry about installing it. Furthermore, ( Since IS comes with a lifetime guarantee ) if you start to have problems anytime after the initial two weeks they will replace and re-install for another five bucks ... It's very nice. I have the full body ( Came from a PS Anti-glare screen protector and an incase slider ) and I couldn't be happier.

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

In my opinion, Invisible Shield sucks (as does their customer service). Their cuts end up peeling up because of the way they cut flaps to adhere on the corners. The best skin for matte is Wrapsol (and the best for long term durability) the best skin for non matte is Best Skins Ever. They have the best cut and best price. I honestly think IS just blows.

BSE and Wrapsol have amazing customer service, and an even better product.

After installing at least 25 of these skins for people, IS is always the skin that ends up peeling off the back due to those stupid flaps they use for the corners. They are too long and collect dust way too easy. I honestly don't understand how anyone likes IS over the other cheaper, and far better offerings.

5. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

i use the steinheil lcd protector and sgp shield for the IS. They really work for me and i have to say the steinheil > ps antiglare imo.

6. army91c macrumors 6502a

I have used IS, BG, and BSE. I have to say the BG was my favorite. I think it went on the easiest and stayed down the longest. My 3g had a BG on it until I exchanged it for a new one about one week before my first year was up. It had minimal lifting which I took care of with a pare of nail clippers. Put IS on my second 3g just to give it a shot and wasn't very happy with it. The fit/finish was not as nice as BG IMHO. When I sold my 3g to get my 3gs I put a BSE on it.... Really didn't like it's install at all. Didn't go down as easy as IS or BG for me. I can't comment on the quality long term.

For me BG is the best clear shield that I have used.
    Tip for any clear shield, plastic wrap! Makes those corners stay down nice and flat.