InvisiShield vs. Case: Fighting Deathgrip

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gianthobbit, Jul 21, 2010.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

Ok so I watched the Invisishield video and and I was quite impressed. The new iPhone feels sooooo good in the hand and the case I have just hides so much. It is like a bumper on the side and clear on the back but I feel like it add so much bulk. Lay the iPhone side by side and you really see how much thicker it makes it...

So my dilemma, will Invisishield add the needed protection this phone needs to survive. I have never used one before and dont know how well it prevents skuffs and etc. from falls. I know the extra stickyness will help. What do you guys think, full case or full invisishield?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It helps with scratch prevention but don't drop it!

3. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm well I am very careful but i guess your going to drop it no matter what. Jobs said in there last PR that 80% of people leave with a case when they bought the last iPhone.

I find that hard to believe, it such a nice looking phone to hide.

4. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I took that invisishield back to best buy today and got a full refund.

5. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Why? I always here a overwhelming negative response to the Invisishield, most dont like the texture...

6. Demarrer macrumors member

I had invisishield on my 3GS and let me tell you it is garbage. After about a month it will start to get dirty. The corners will start to peel off, and after two to three months you'll have to get it replaced. I like the screen protector, that seems to work just fine. However, if it is the full body you want, it is a waste of money.

BTW if you drop it, it is like dropping a naked phone. It only protects from scratching, that is all.

7. Ninjasrule macrumors member

what about the antenna issue? Has it fixed the death grip situation or attenuated it?

8. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

9. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I have the invisible shield and it does fix the antennae if you just touch it but if you squeeze it then it doesn't help much.

10. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

That is interesting. What is confusing is that for some people something as simple as tape fixes it and for other it does nothing. So strange.

My main concern is protecting the thing for the eventual fall. Has anyone dropped it with the full Invisishield wrap? What are the findings?

11. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I actually didn't mind the texture, but I took it back because I think succeeded it getting the shield on and having a case is slim. I know there are some that have gotten it to work and I am sure it works fine. However, I am one that takes a case off from time to time to switch or to clean. So, for me it just wasn't working. It was peeling off easily.

The touch is not that bad. I think, however, there may be better shields out there.

12. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

It works much better on the iPhone 4 than the 3GS. The edges don't come up at all, I had it on both devices..

13. FlashHead macrumors regular

I have I. Shield and bumper. Work pretty well together. No big drops though to test it yet, and I'm not planning on it.

However, I've had to take the bumper on and off a couple of times to get to the sim card. The back has started to peel up a little from this I'm afraid. I'm personally not that concerned if the back gets scratched up a little, of course it's the front screen I'm mostly worried about.

The texture took a little while to get used to, as I have my iPod Touch 1st gen and iPad naked (carrying case for the iPad for transit), but I can stomach it. It does have an orange peel effect that I'm not crazy about though.

Bottom line, since my iPad is for fun and productivity and my iPhone is for functionality and mobility, meaning I don't stare at it for long periods of time. I take it out to take a call, or check something on the internet quickly, will sometimes play a game for 10 minutes or so while waiting on line, but always in short bursts. So, keeping the phone comfortably in my pocket, protected and quick and easy to get to, are my main concerns.

This set up seems to accomplish all of that.

14. ano0oj macrumors 6502

That might've been due to the rounded corners? I remember when I installed invisible shield on my first iphone it was a pain in the *** with the corners and they were the first to show wear and tear. I imagine the new flat surface and separate side pieces should make the invisible shield last quite long

15. Torq macrumors regular

If you're having reception issues, stick with a case.

Very thin insulators between two conductive elements (antenna and you) are just going to act as dielectrics in a standard capacitor. And since modifying capacitance is one way of altering the tuning of an antenna, this is not generally a good thing!

The effect will vary with the person involved and the dielectric material of course.

Beyond that ... I've yet to see any phone or other device sporting the Zagg IS, even when "perfectly applied with no bubbles", that I couldn't tell was using IS from 10 feet away.

I'd rather scratches on my device than constantly deal with the obvious look and feel of the IS material. Sure it's tough stuff, but it is, by no means, invisible.

16. Ninjasrule macrumors member

That's kinda lame. The every day hold is going to squeeze it. these issues are frustrating. I'm hoping that the next generation iphone doesn't incorporate an external antenna. I don't think it would take a genius with the bad publicity and reactions that they will try to fix it next phone.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've had an iPhone since 2007 and I've always had IS and purchased cases that fit the iPhone with IS. I admit I've dropped my iPhones and the case provided the protection from a FALL, NOT IS...:eek:

18. jns2001 macrumors regular

I have IS, but to apply it you need to have the eyes and hands of a surgeon, literally. It's better than a case from the point of view of aesthetics, not sure about the function in case of a fall. It will protect your phone from scratching in your pocket (read keys and coins), in your car, and for this thing to not peel off, you need to baby it at the install process, like a couple of hours petting the rounded parts every 10 minutes.

Just FYI, I am not hiding my beautiful IP4 with an ugly case, what's the point of a gorgeous phone?

19. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

The great debate is spend 29.99 on a full body IS that you can return anytime you want to Best Buy, or spend about the same on a better quality screen protector from SGP but if you mess the applications up, good luck getting any form of compensation for it.

Honestly I'm about to take the risk and go with SGP. My iPhone 3G's IS was so terrible. Only reason I dealt with them is because I worked there at the time and they were like 4 bucks a piece with employee discount.