Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Hi there,

To my slight embarrassment, I have for the past few years stubbornly continued to use the discontinued Microsoft Office Accounting Express (via a Windows VM) for my client invoicing.

For a couple of reasons, I want to switch to a new Mac solution. However, I'm struggling to find a suitable product.

I went through this exercise a couple of years ago and didn't find anything that worked for me, and after wasting a couple of days with various products I gave up and switched back to Office Accounting.

My needs are (theoretically) simple, so hopefully someone can recommend something. I barely use any functionality of Office Accounting but I DO need to do ALL of the following:

1. Create invoices using a customised template.
2. Use pounds sterling (my company is UK based).
3. Maintain a customer list.
4. Send the invoices out as PDF / DOC attachments.
5. Have an "at a glance" view of outstanding invoices, and the ability to run reports of sales.

Also (and here's the tricky part), I want to

6. Import my existing customer list (I can export it as XLSX) AND import all of my historical invoices (I also have this an an Excel document).

Earlier today I tried QuickBooks Simple Start. It started well, and I quickly imported my customer list, but I couldn't import my past invoices and was unable to do enough tweaking to the invoice template.

Apps I gave up on last time I tried to migrate:

1. Billings - unstable.
2. Stonehill Invoicer - couldn't handle UK VAT.
3. iBiz - couldn't change templates adequately
4. iRatchet - couldn't change templates adequately
5. On The Job - too many steps and too much on time tracking rather than invoicing

Any suggestions appreciated...Effective and quick is more important than cheap...

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
I gave up after exhaustive searching and signed up for the QuickBooks cloud service.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Hi there,

To my slight embarrassment, I have for the past few years stubbornly continued to use the discontinued Microsoft Office Accounting Express (via a Windows VM) for my client invoicing.

For a couple of reasons, I want to switch to a new Mac solution. However, I'm struggling to find a suitable product.

I went through this exercise a couple of years ago and didn't find anything that worked for me, and after wasting a couple of days with various products I gave up and switched back to Office Accounting.

My needs are (theoretically) simple, so hopefully someone can recommend something. I barely use any functionality of Office Accounting but I DO need to do ALL of the following:

5. Have an "at a glance" view of outstanding invoices, and the ability to run reports of sales.

6. Import my existing customer list (I can export it as XLSX) AND import all of my historical invoices (I also have this an an Excel document).

Earlier today I tried QuickBooks Simple Start. It started well, and I quickly imported my customer list, but I couldn't import my past invoices and was unable to do enough tweaking to the invoice template.

1. Billings - unstable.
5. On The Job - too many steps and too much on time tracking rather than invoicing

Any suggestions appreciated...Effective and quick is more important than cheap...

Turbocash is free and excellent and works in Windows & Linux. Pastel is best and can be used as a cloud app.

http://www.pastel.co.za/Accounting-Software-Newsroom/Pastel-business-software-for-Mac.asp

Oakbridge

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
Hi there,

1. Billings - unstable.

Hmm, I work with Markertcircle (developers of Billings) quite a bit (I'm a Daylite Master Partner) and I'd question what you found unstable about Billings. It's one of the most stable apps I've seen. How long ago did you look at it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.