Involuntarily Out to Lunch

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by designs216, Aug 24, 2013.

1. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Friday was a morning like any other. I was staring into the fridge contemplating breakfast, then at the front door asking who the paramedics were for. The kids say I was twitching and drooling in the floor but I have no recollection. Anyone have a similarly bizarre experience?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't say that I have, but, I once had a friend who hit his head he had a similar experience. He too didn't remember anything afterwards either.

Perhaps you banged your head - any tenderness there now?

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You DID go to your doc for evaluation...right?

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Any history of epilepsy?

But like Shrink said, see a Dr.

5. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

One might suspect after a post such as this but no head injuries or history of mental illness preceded this event. The neurologist claimed one in eight people will have a similar experience in their lifetime.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It's a seizure...whether it's post traumatic, or some other cause.

Alteration in consciousness is endemic to seizures.

Nothing bizarre about having no memory of a seizure because of the alterations in consciousness.

This is something that requires attention...now!

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm confused, did you go to a doctor or not? You'd be foolish not to. Please see a doc.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think if you haven't already, that you should see your primary care physician.

9. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

The neurologist seemed completely bored by my whole account but he did say the next course of action is an MRI. I am someone who is overall very healthy so the strange thing is that after 40 years this would jump out of nowhere.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yup...stuff happens. Get the MRI so the cause of the seizure can be established. There are several possible causes...and the cause dictates the treatment, if necessary.

Just because you have been healthy all your life does not preclude the development of issues. The MRI may tell the tale, or other diagnostics may be necessary.

Do not be casual about this. A major seizure with total loss of consciousness is not to be treated lightly.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The real sad news is that while you were unconscious Leslie Nielson passed away :(

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Have you ever had bloodwork done to check on diabetes ?

13. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

I do not mean to sound cavalier and I do appreciate everyone's concern. The MRI will be this week. It's just that I've found the best insight has come from others who empathize because they've been down this road already. One person had a single occurrence out of the blue and no more another needs to take medication perpetually. What surprised me is that things like sleep deprivation, dehydration and stress can trigger a seizure.

----------

I'm not certain but the paramedics and the ED drew blood which I assume would have been tested.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

There are so many possible causes for a seizure, OP will have many tests unless something leaps out after the MRI.

Please don't take this wrong, I really mean no offense, but I think suggestions other than see a Doc might not be too helpful.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

LOC patient = CT scan or MRI
    go do one. GL :)
    You should have gone to the ER, faster way to get the tests out of the way and controlled environment.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Why would you even come on here for advice? As far as I'm aware we only have one regular poster who is a Dr, who deals more with issues of the mind rather than body.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

There are plenty of docs in here believe or not.

Hell, even the owner of the site is a doctor.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You're right...and I'd be willing to bet that none will say anything other than... see your Doc, and get thoroughly evaluated. :D

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

fine...

OP see your dr, and get thoroughly evaluated

:eek: :)

I would have preferred he went that same morning to the ER, but we can't go back in time.

--------------

TS don't worry all neurologist would be bored from your story, I believe is the most common thing they see in private practice.

20. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

The medical stuff is taken care of, I am simply seeking insight into the human side of this. How have folks dealt with it? The Dr's I've consulted with have seen this kind of thing so often that they seem somewhat apathetic. You nearly bit off your tongue? That will heal in a week. No driving for 3 months and get an MRI.

21. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Did you have any weird smells or sensations? Any deja vu or jamais vu? Any time anything goes wrong with one's CNS it can shake up what we normally think is our solid grasp of reality. It must be so weird and scary to lose control of your body like that.

22. 4JNA, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

get well soon.

neurologists are boring. the whole point is to find some undocumented thingy to get ones name attached to. it's like staring at circuit boards all day to decide who does what and why and when. when something is wrong, it's the same in reverse. the MRI provides the pretty pictures to stare at.

40 is when your warranty ran out, so not strange at all that things start to break. it gets weirder from here, or at least that's been my experience. sneaking up on the top end of that range now myself. everything frickin' hurts.

totally agree with this. no matter when/where/why. full stop.

and then we are full circle. i get the 'human side' approach. weird day, wonder what it all means and stuff. i hope for you that it goes away and the already bored neurologist gets even more bored and tells you to stop calling already....:) nothing to see, nothing to fix, move along please and all that.

geeky admission time, i love MRI. i worked on them for years. the technology involved is totally amazing. T1 and T2 precession, sagittal spin, and the ability to create a superconducting magnet with cryo... just awesome. you would not believe how much is going on in the other room (rack room, not control room) for a scan. they are aligning all of your molecules in a super strong homogeneous magnetic space about the size of a basketball and then 'pinging' them with an RF pulse and 'listening' for the response based on spin and time differential. and stuff. :) safe, fun, and the most amazing pictures which is why i'm always so irritated that neurologists are bored. true story.

23. Roller macrumors 68020

Technically, it's not the molecules that align, it's the protons (hydrogen nuclei). But yes, MRI is amazing technology. The people who know the most about how MRI works and who interpret the majority of MRI scans are radiologists, who are physicians who specialize in medical imaging.

It sounds like the OP had a seizure, the workup of which would include imaging and other tests, as there are many potential causes. I hope that things go well.

24. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

There was a wave of dizziness, which I took to be due to perhaps standing up too quickly. Shortly after the second wave I checked out. It seems logical that if there were a structural defect or abnormality that was going to cause problems it would have presented before now. It's stressful is to consider the inconvenience I'm now causing my loved ones and the scare I gave my kids. Truly frightening is the thought that if this episode had come thirty minutes later, I would have been driving them to school.