IOATAController device blocking bus loop when disconnecting flash drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by honeycombz, Sep 25, 2017.

1. honeycombz macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Hey, getting a weird loop that's freezing my finder and forcing me to log out and log back in when trying to eject a flash drive. I've tried several different flash drives and it isn't 100% of the time but i've noticed it a lot. I'm on a 3,1.

IOATAController device blocking bus

Anyone familiar with this?

2. honeycombz, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Anyone have any ideas how I could troubleshoot this? Seems to be a daily occurence now. I'm wondering if this could be due to a failing optical drive. Not sure. It seems to always follow this error.

Console[1507]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

If you think it is a failing optical drive, then troubleshoot by disconnecting the optical drives and seeing if the problem continues to occur when you eject thumbdrives.

4. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

So I removed the optical drive and everything seemed fine for a bit but now an SSD I have connected in the second bay off that same power line is ejecting randomly.

5. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Hey, been monitoring this a bit more and came across this post. Seems very similar to what I'm experiencing, but could use someone with a bit more understanding of these types of complex issues to assist in parsing this down for me.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4895074?start=30&tstart=0

In the error log right before the SSD split I got this:

kernel[0]: Failed to issue COM RESET successfully after 3 attempts. Failing...

and then just a bunch of

kernel[0]: Failed to issue COM RESET successfully after 3 attempts. Failing...