IOC adds Golf, Rugby to future Games

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by kymac, Oct 9, 2009.

1. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4545111

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Do we really need golf in the Olympics? Don't get me wrong, I love the sport, but with the Ryder cup and the fact that the game is already pretty multicultural. I'm going to assume that it would be team based in some way as opposed to just individual. An individual Olympic golf tournament just seems silly. We all already know who the top players in the world are and it would most likely come down to one of them.

I don't know, maybe I'll warm up to the idea more, but right now it just seems kinda odd. I like the Olympics because I get to watch people I don't already know that well do sports that I don't get to see all of the time.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I suppose golf makes sense since a lot of people play it, unlike most events which very few people actually play. Though it seems to be about as much of a sport bowling or air hockey.:p

As for rugby I really don't get why they would go for smaller than traditional team sizes. Nor why Rugby sevens will drop there World Cup if in the Olympics. That seems like it would be tantamount to soccer (football to non-americans) dropping the World Cup because of the Olympics.

What I was shocked by is that there are limits to numbers of teams. I always thought that any country could put someone or some team in any event. Even if they would get there butts kicked. Like some poor snow free country that can't afford to train someone sending a person to the slalom whom has never skied before.

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I guess they figured 7's rugby would be faster paced and more interesting to viewers...?

Though personally I'd rather see 15's...

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Disappointed that it is the Sevens version… always seems kind of like "rugger lite" to me. :)

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Woot! With rugbyin, maybe Ireland have a chance at a medal at these Olympics! Edit - didn't notice it was Sevens. Booooooooo.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

In fairness to Sevens, it's a tough, sprinting heavy game. I still would rather see 15's with some good scrums (my rugby coach uses video of international games to teach us proper scrum/ruck/maul positioning sometimes), but Sevens can be a bitch too.

Especially if they do it like local tournaments and make all the teams play 3-6 games in one day, when it's 80 degrees and no shade. Then we'd have an interesting set of games...:D

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Psyched about Golf! I'd love to see the World's Greatest battle it out for the Gold. I wonder how they'll choose who represents each country? This could be a huge lift for the game worldwide. Tiger brought the sport into the 21st Century mainstream, this could be what it takes to keep it there for good.:)

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

You've got to love a game that has moves/positions/techniques with names like "scrum, ruck, and maul"! Being an American I know little to nothing about rugby, but it is just so cool that there's a game out there where it's not only legal by the rules, but encouraged that you "maul" someone. :D

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If you have a digital cable feed, get a subscription to Setanta sports. You'll get learned up REAL QUICK. That, and Aussie Rules footy are just great, and when compared, you'll easily see why gridiron is a farce.

BL.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You mean AFTER Tiger retires right?;) Of course, we might get an upset once in a blue moon (ie. 1980's US beating the Russians at Hockey, 2004's US Basketball team losing or 2000's Alexander "the Great" Karelin losing a wrestling match.)

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

2016 is a long way away. And remind me again just how many Majors Tiger won this year?:p

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So they drop Baseball because they said people didn't care, and these are the sports they add?

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I'd wager there is more interest in rugby and golf than baseball…

15. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

To be fair, I can see how they can say that. For many in other countries where baseball is widely watched or played, it probably can be a slow and boring game. I would hazard a guess and say that rugby is more of an international game than baseball. Outside of the Americas and Japan.

16. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Golf and Rugby - daft, as is including Football (Soccer), Tennis, Synchronised Swimming and more. Maybe Darts has a chance?

Cheers,
    OW

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

if they added cricket you might have a point

having Baseball _and_ Softball was ridiculous

18. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

so because having two of them was too much, they removed both?

19. remmy macrumors 6502a

sounds good to me, either is too much/dull.

20. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

You got that right, I haven't seen any rugby games, but I would say in my point of view golf is much better than baseball.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

It's only a matter of time before they add spamming, hacking, and World of Warcraft to the schedule.

Maybe I can has gold medal?

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Video games in the Olympics, that's such a sketch comedy act waiting to happen. How funny would it be to show the Olympic event of playing virtual Olympic events. Or better yet the video game the contestants play is that old stand up Olympics video game with the big spin ball for a controller. Too funny. :D

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't think adding golf was a good idea.