IOH Heatsink & CPU B Core 0 Relative to ProcHot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blacka4, Nov 30, 2014.

1. blacka4 macrumors 6502

Can someone help me here, new to my pro and the IOH heatsink at title is above 165 and the CPU B by just plain a few short youtube videos is over 162. Can someone point me in a direction to get these temperatures down?

CPU B Core 0 Relative to ProcHOT is a full 10 degrees hotter then CPU A Core 0 Relative to ProcHOT

Thanks a bunch guys.

2. freshbread macrumors member

Having recently upgraded my Mac Pro with new cpus I am looking at the same things myself. I don't know for sure but I believe your temps are okay but a little worrisome. Also the relative temps should be high. Higher is better--this is your comfort zone. Consider reapply thermal paste or giving your hex screws a 1/4 turn depending on how you can to your machine. All of this assumes mp tower.

3. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thing is I have not done anything to this machine but a hard drive wipe and boot it up. It was a friends studio machine. And I thought it had an easy life.

4. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Rel to prochot is how far away from max temp your processors are currently at

Pretty sure IOH heatsink is around 70deg C which isnt far off your value for it in degrees F

5. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you explain how far away? It keeps going up so I'm confused

6. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Assume you're talking Fahrenheit. And yes, your temps are very high. I'm running X5677 (8 core @ 3.46MHz) in my 5,1 and at rest (not being pushed) I'm at around 100° to 105° for heatsink "A" and 90° to 95° for heatsink "B".

The things I would do:

1. Open up the machine and clean the CPUs and reapply thermal compound.

2. Use a program to manually control fan speeds, and increase the stock speeds. I use Mac's Fan Control. See attached screen shot.

Edit - if your talking relative to hot, then your not so bad. I'm at 140° and 152° respectively.

Lou

Attached Files:

7. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

9. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think part of my problem is I had my power setting all messed up because I am using it as a iTunes server for my house and just left it on. With out sleeping. Then I figured out I can let it sleep and the Apple TV will wake it if I turn on Wake on LAN

10. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Your Mac Pro is very cool indeed. That's 160F away from processor hot state.

11. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502