iOmega 2TB External Hard Drive suddenly not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hexakosioi, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Hexakosioi macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have had this external hard drive for more than 2 years and it has been working with no issues until yesterday. The LED light is on but there is no longer the spinning noise. I don't know what happened? Of course it doesn't show up on the computer.
    Is there any way to know what the problem is? I unscrewed/removed the cover I couldn't see anything loose or out of place. I tried it on other computers, nothing.
    Could it be the power supply is the culprit here? Like it is only giving enough power to turn on the LED light. I hope that is the case.
    Any ideas on what to do?
    It usually makes a spinning noise when I start it now it doesn't, only light is on.

IOmega 34696 MiniMax Desktop 2TB Hard Drive
    Thank you

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Could be power supply, could be dead disk. Best way to know is to remove the disk and try it in something else. I recommend one of these:

http://amzn.com/B003UI62AG

Attached Files:

3. RJJR84 macrumors newbie

RJJR84

A led light on the external means that the enclosure itself is working fine but the drive inside is malfunctioning, it could be the data transfer board on the back of the hard drive that's bad or an internal component issue inside the drive. Your best bet is to have the data recovered from the drive, my data recovery company specializes in this area and you can have your files transferred to a device of your choice or we can provide one for you. Turn around time is about 7-10 days if shipping your drive to us and 3-5 days if you are a local resident. Check out my website at www.inspectortechnic.com to see all of our services. I'll even give you a deal, instead of the normal $150 I'll only charge you $100 for a basic level data recovery, or $200 for advanced data recovery. Hope to hear from you and I wish you the best!