iomega 500 GB HDD already dying

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EricNau, Oct 25, 2007.

1. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, I received my iomega 500 GB HDD (the model currently on promotion at the Apple Store) this afternoon, and it's already making the "click of death" not to mention the power adapter that squeals like a pig. :rolleyes:

...Guess it couldn't even handle the first backup. :(

Did anyone else buy this HDD, and what's your experience so far?

I'm really not looking forward to speaking with Apple tomorrow...

2. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

After playing around with it some more, I'm starting to wonder if the clicking noise is normal for this unit. ...It appears to be functioning fine, but just 5x louder than any hard drive I've heard before.

It's also strange, considering it wasn't making that noise for the first hour (or so) of use.

Can anyone with this hard drive confirm this?

Thanks

3. dborja macrumors 6502a

I have the clicking sound, too. I think it's normal for this drive as the armature moves the head around. I don't find it annoying, just a little surprised. In a way, it reassures me that it is doing something.

BTW, I opened the case and found a Seagate SATA drive - a pleasant surprise...

No problems in the one month that I've had it so far.

4. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Thanks. That's reassuring at least.

When I really thought about it, I realized that I wasn't really hearing the "click of death" like I've heard in the past, but instead, just a really loud hard drive. ...The fact that it started out much quieter also threw me off.

(To be honest, I was somewhat hoping my unit was broken, so I wouldn't have to put up with that clicking.:eek:)

Meanwhile, does your power adapter also make the high pitched whine? ...Not so much when the hard drive is powered on, but when it's off (and as you turn it off, it makes a squelch)?

Thanks again.

5. dborja macrumors 6502a

Yes, I hear a whine that appears to come from the vicinity of the power adapter on rare occasions (about three times since I've had the drive). 'Still trying to figure that out...

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

One of my WD MyBook's died, so I went to the store and bought an internal Seagate SATA drive and replaced the disk in the MyBook with the Seagate drive. The WD drive was silent in operation, but with the Seagate inside I can definitely hear the noises made by the drive as the heads seek. I'd say it's normal.

7. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just wanted to update this thread:

I called Apple earlier today, and after I told the rep that I purchased this HDD for use with time machine (which is obviously the purpose of the ongoing sale), but I wasn't confident that it was up to the task, considering the loud clicking noises as well as the crackling/whining noises coming from the power adapter. She graciously agreed to offer a return label for shipping and waive the 10% restocking fee, after apologizing numerous times for the defective product. On top of that, she offered me a $15 coupon towards any purchase of $100 or more at the Apple Store, so I could buy a different hard drive.

Honestly, I couldn't be any more impressed with Apple at the moment. :)

8. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

is it the ultraxmax iomega 500gb hdd that you are talking about?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../RSLID?mco=85A10F4B&fnode=home&nplm=TP946LL/A

9. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, the one I was referring to doesn't seem to be available at the Apple Store anymore (I wonder why). ;)

I received my LaCie HD yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. It's solidly built, quiet, and has a small, elegant form factor: everything the iomega was not. Plus, the Lacie is $25 cheaper.

I don't have any experience with any other iomega drives, but based upon that one incident, I don't think I ever will.