Iomega MiniMax For Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mr miyagi, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mr miyagi macrumors member

HI all

I am going to be getting the minimax iomega for my mac mini. But I have heard a lot of mixed reviews. Some people say it overheats with the mac sitting on top of it? Some people say its too noisy.

Can anyone tell me their own experiences with the iomega minimax?

Thanks

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I bought an iomega minimax for my mac mini, but I never bought the mini until later when the minimax wasn't needed. I use the minimax as a clone for my iMac and I am very happy.

However, I would not want to use it for my digital assetts. It does not inspire much confidence. I use a Drobo and I am much happier.

I have not had any problems and it does not over heat.

3. ant72 macrumors newbie

I also bought a minimax for my macmini (PPC) a few years back. I was not all that impressed. The drive was very noisy and made a really odd clicking sound. The mac wouldn't go to sleep very with it connected, and often froze the computer for 30 secs at a time. A year or so later the PSU died, so I pulled the drive out and recased it for occaisional backups, but I would'nt recommend one. The disk still clicks....

I use a bus powered Lacie portable drive now for itunes, and it works a treat.

4. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg