Iomega Prestige 1 TB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ja Di ksw, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Does anyone know if this external HD is good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_59010_14899260_pe_i3/B001D7REJ4

More than anything else, reliability is the issue. Space is good, transfer speed is fine for what it will be used for, the only real question is, does this brand (or specific HD) have a good track record of not failing? Or, I guess another question would be, is there a better buy for the same $? Thanks for the help!

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I can't stress this enough, but don't buy pre-manufactured external hard drives unless they are from a hard drive manufacturer (e.g. western digital).

I had two Iomega Ultramax devices failing me last year. One drive had a bad power supply (very likely for all Iomega drives after one year of usage) which I couldn't find anywhere to replace and the other drive had two Seagate drives that crashed.
    The problem is that Iomega only gives one year warranty, plus the drives they put in their enclosures are OEM drives, which means that don't have the warranty time the drives manufacturer generally gives for their hard drives.

So a WD drive that normally has 5 years of warranty, still only has 1 year of warranty in an Iomega enclosure.

Do yourself a favour and buy drive and enclosure separately, or buy manufacturer drives like the WD MyBook.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You can read my wonderful experience with Iomega here.

For the list of alternative, this is the place to start.

4. pacers721 macrumors member

I've owned this drive for a few months (and had the 500 GB version b/f). It's biggest advantage is its price. My only complaint is that it can be a little noisy. There are quite a few clicking sounds when my data is backing up via time machine. Overall, I am satisfied with it. Note that it does come w/ 3 yrs warranty.

5. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thanks for all the help! The HD will be for a friend, and I don't think he could handle buying the parts and setting it up. I ended up moving to another country so I can't do it for him either, which is why I'm looking at pre-made ones.

thegoldenmackid - that's a great guide! It will be really helpful!