Iomega Ultramax 500GB Firewire/USB 2.0

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eldino, Dec 4, 2007.

1. eldino macrumors member

eldino

Hi there,
    I'd like to know if there is any Iomega user out there who bought this drive:
    http://www.iomega-europe.com/item?SID=ff6245d4f005fc7247c43eea046a9dcab8f:4730&sku=131433912

[​IMG]

that costs just 150€, free shipping included.
    I asked to Customer Care what kind of chipset it mounts but they didn't reply me yet, so I ask here: what kind of chipset it mounts? Prolific, Initio or Oxford (as i hope)? Or other?
    Do you have any experience with it? Can I boot from it via Firewire from my iBook?

I need it mainly for music storage because my first Macpower Pleiades 500GB is full. I'd daisy chain the Iomega to the MacPower so all my music shows up on my desktop and into my iTunes library with no pain :)

Thank you for replies.

ps.it seems there are few Iomega users on worldwide Mac forums... it's because it's sh|t or because it's elite? :)

2. eldino thread starter macrumors member

eldino

The consumer care told me that:
    a) they use just Seagate or Maxtor (aka evilxtor) disks, and I'd really not want a Maxtor disk for my datas;
    b) the infos about the chipset used in this box is "no available", and this pushes me to think that they use crappy chipsets such as Prolific ones, to justify the good price of the product (it costs 30euros less than a Lacie with FW400 port);
    c) Booting from Firewire on PowePC machines works but it's not supported by Iomega (= it works as sh|t?).

That's all. Im really doubtful about buying or not this disk..