Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I've had an Ionic Breeze for a while, and I know how well it works, but always hear people claim that it "doesn't' work... so I took some interesting pics of it.

This is after less than four days since cleaning, running 24/7 in my dorm room. The silver part is a little bit I wiped clean with a cloth for emphasis.

pic1.jpg

Zoomed in:

pic2.jpg

I like how some people claim it doesn't pic up any more dust than anything else does after sitting around. That much dust and crap does not cover everything I own after a few days! All with no fans, so no noise.

Anyone else have one of these?

EDIT: And in response to a post about how it doesn't move air, here is a QuickTime movie I made of it doing just that:

http://www.danpalka.net/ionicbreeze.mov

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have one - bought it with a bonus gift card I got (well, it covered part of the cost). Silent, effective, easy to use and clean. I love it.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Looks like some kind of white powder... hmmm. Taking pictures of air purifier... posting review in macRumors... maybe a little bored, or restless, feeling paranoid about the gossip that Ionic Breeze is crap...

Nah, probably just a coincidence!;)

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
The Ionic Breeze "filters" air in the same way that an old tube-type television screen would: it has a slight static charge, so dust that passes by gets stuck to the surface.

It would work a lot better if it could actually move air over the surface. As it is, it will only get the dust that happens to pass close enough. You could achieve the same thing by leaving an old tube TV on all the time. (Though the picture would get dusty after a while.)

Try this: take a Kleenex-brand tissue, and separate the two sheets (there are two thin sheets stuck together.) Hold it up to your mouth, and exhale as lightly as you can.

Now hold it up to the Ionic Breeze. Watch it go limp.

It can't catch what never goes through it.

Every organization that's compared a fanless static-charge air machine has found that they don't work as well as filters. On the other hand, the same type machine with a fan scores much better.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
portent said:
Try this: take a Kleenex-brand tissue, and separate the two sheets (there are two thin sheets stuck together.) Hold it up to your mouth, and exhale as lightly as you can.

Sure thing! Just for you ;):

http://www.danpalka.net/ionicbreeze.mov

Now remember, because it's silent and uses hardly any electricity, it runs 24/7 even though its pretty close to my bed. 24 hours a day of cleaning.

portent said:
Every organization that's compared a fanless static-charge air machine has found that they don't work as well as filters. On the other hand, the same type machine with a fan scores much better.

Well of course it does, but the whole point of the ionic breeze is that it has no fans so it makes no noise. I can't stand even the slightest sound of a fan. Plus, you never have to buy filters for this, you just clean the old ones (I clean mine outside).

I think it works pretty darn well for having no fans!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
*looks at gunk-covered filter*
eeewwww

that being said, I'd like one.
Several actually.

I guess it's a little like those biore pore strips. You don't want to know what's in your skin (or the air, in case of the filter) but you know you want whatever in you skin/air OUT.

Have you noticed your air smelling better or more crisp since you got the ionic breeze?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
katie ta achoo said:
Have you noticed your air smelling better or more crisp since you got the ionic breeze?

Yes, my room smells much better than the rest of the dorm building now! :D

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
dpaanlka said:
Yes, my room smells much better than the rest of the dorm building now! :D

Wow, those actually work! I was debating buying that one or the one from Brookstone. I might think twice now :)

Great video btw.

Ed

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I will have to say I am an owner of one as well, and really like them. When I walk into my apartment, I can tell its been running.

Loved that video too btw. I laughed for a good 5 mins.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Ionizers are pretty nice--the bigger the better. I've been using Amcor ionizers nearly 20 years and they help with the dust, for sure.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
portent said:
The Ionic Breeze "filters" air in the same way that an old tube-type television screen would: it has a slight static charge, so dust that passes by gets stuck to the surface.

It would work a lot better if it could actually move air over the surface. As it is, it will only get the dust that happens to pass close enough. You could achieve the same thing by leaving an old tube TV on all the time. (Though the picture would get dusty after a while.)

It can't catch what never goes through it.

...So rig some silent computer fans up to it. :D

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
bousozoku said:
Ionizers are pretty nice--the bigger the better. I've been using Amcor ionizers nearly 20 years and they help with the dust, for sure.

I think the Ionic Breeze is unique in that it has no fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.