Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should we continue developing apps with Game Center integration?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It seems that Game Center is slowly dying. Last year, Apple removed the Game Center app, and moved essential functionality to Settings.
At WWDC 2017 there was not a mention to Game Center integration. Is it dead?
I've added Game Center integration to a game for keeping High Scores and player invites, but it seems that most users may not care much about these features.
What do you guys would recommend? Should I just remove Game Center integration from my game or keep it?
TIA

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Too bad, that's what I keep hearing. What about the simultaneous multiplayer functionality, turn-based games, invites, etc.?
What happened!?
Your true Apple ID is shown to anyone you friend. For me that automatically limited it to people I knew in daily life and none of them game enough to want friends, LOL. I'm not about to give away half of my login credentials to online strangers.

Reactions: epca12

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Your true Apple ID is shown to anyone you friend. For me that automatically limited it to people I knew in daily life and none of them game enough to want friends, LOL. I'm not about to give away half of my login credentials to online strangers.
Thank you for that info.
So what would be the approach to online multiplayer gaming? Using another Service? Unity?
There was no mention of GamePlayKit this year. And I'm not sure how to know what will stay and what will go. I don't want to develop with something that's destined to disappear in the near future.

epca12

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
UK
Unless there is a good widely adopted alternative you could keep it, but I don't think many would care if the integration went away since as you say, it's slowly dying and hidden from the user.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
What little gaming I do online is mainly console-based. I have my Xbox / PS3 gamer tags and no one needs to know anything beyond that in order to friend me or play together online. As soon as a service wants me to share the email I used to sign up for the service to anyone who I friend, that's just too much information to give away to just anyone.

It's like giving everyone your phone number almost. Yes, you can block them if they turn out to be psycho, but they could use the email to sign me up for all kinds of crap or try phishing attempts or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.