Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
x.x.y updates usually don't get much attention, like x.y and y.0 updates do.
They get somewhat more attention in the early stages of a new iOS version, but attention dwindles as we get closer to the last updates of a particular version (unless perhaps there are some outstanding issues that people are eagerly waiting to see fixed, or something like that).

Reactions: roncron

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Anyone with a DAC able to test to see if audio still drops with the music app continuing to play? If this is not fixed guessing apple is ignoring it till 11. They need to address it though because it is impacting MFI devices.

Not fixed.

ckisgen

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Anyone else's "custom" (aka - downloaded from iTunes) ringtones and text tones not working on this beta?

I can't get my downloaded tones to work on B2. I actually just purchased about 6-7 tones on the mobile iTunes store on beta 1 and now I can only get the default text tones to come through no matter which of my purchased tones I set it on.

This also includes when I try to apply a purchased ringtone to an individual contact. It still only gives me the default iPhone text tone.

All of this was working just fine for me on B1.

Sammydad1

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2017
Now that I have assumed ownership of my wife's properly working ip6, I am afraid to update it any more. Beta 1 has been fine. I can't say about the other bugs some have reported because I do not use those features.

That is why I am almost 100% sure the battery drain issue on my ip6 is related to some obscure hardware issue and not specific to ios 10.x.x YMMV Some transistor circuit popped or something that not letting the entire phone circuitry enter sleep mode..... Diagnosis by symptom, not factual evidence.

Hi again,

I have been doing some research on my battery drain issue, and finally, I think I have found an answer.

Seems there is a tiny chip that regulates several functions, one of which is battery drain. If you google iphone 6 U2 IC chip you will see a number of hits, my exact symptoms included, and several others relating to a failed U2 IC chip.

They all seem to indicate the chip is easily damaged by cheap chargers, especially car chargers, which I know I used at times.

Repair seems to average about $100, often via a mail in service that is able to replace this tiny little chip. I have emailed a couple places about the repair process should I decide to go that route.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Hi again,

I have been doing some research on my battery drain issue, and finally, I think I have found an answer.

Seems there is a tiny chip that regulates several functions, one of which is battery drain. If you google iphone 6 U2 IC chip you will see a number of hits, my exact symptoms included, and several others relating to a failed U2 IC chip.

They all seem to indicate the chip is easily damaged by cheap chargers, especially car chargers, which I know I used at times.

Repair seems to average about $100, often via a mail in service that is able to replace this tiny little chip. I have emailed a couple places about the repair process should I decide to go that route.

I do believe it regulates charging and power functions, not battery drain, no?

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Anyone with a DAC able to test to see if audio still drops with the music app continuing to play? If this is not fixed guessing apple is ignoring it till 11. They need to address it though because it is impacting MFI devices.

Huh, I thought this was a CarPlay oddity but maybe it's related to your bug. On my wife's new Hyundai Sante Fe, when using CarPlay, listening to music, and using navigation, instead of the music ducking or pausing, it mutes during nav instructions, but continues playing, while all other compatible audio producing apps duck or pause, which would be the behavior I'd expect out of it. So maybe it's a Music App issue?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Anyone else's "custom" (aka - downloaded from iTunes) ringtones and text tones not working on this beta?

I can't get my downloaded tones to work on B2. I actually just purchased about 6-7 tones on the mobile iTunes store on beta 1 and now I can only get the default text tones to come through no matter which of my purchased tones I set it on.

This also includes when I try to apply a purchased ringtone to an individual contact. It still only gives me the default iPhone text tone.

All of this was working just fine for me on B1.
My custom made ringtones (not downloaded but made in iTunes from a song) are working fine in this beta.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Hey everybody! Starting before this beta, but also during this beta (I just updated today), I began experiencing a strange issue where my PowerBeats3 are perpetually connected to my iPhone. What I mean is, even when the power LED isn't lit, the headphones are still functioning as if they're turned on. Hell, they even behave like that when they are ON THE CHARGER, and the charging LED is lit. I've tried disconnecting (the headphones just reconnect automatically), and even re-pairing (doesn't solve the issue.) This is incredibly irritating.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Huh, I thought this was a CarPlay oddity but maybe it's related to your bug. On my wife's new Hyundai Sante Fe, when using CarPlay, listening to music, and using navigation, instead of the music ducking or pausing, it mutes during nav instructions, but continues playing, while all other compatible audio producing apps duck or pause, which would be the behavior I'd expect out of it. So maybe it's a Music App issue?

It seems to be something that changed in the USB stack in 10.3.1. DACs and MIDI are known to be impacted. Since it breaks MFI devices Apple better have an explanation. Some of the impacted devices are>$1k

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
This darn Intel modem. They keep moving forward on the Qualcomm but I guess the Intel just isn't as easily upgraded. Quite the contrary. They downgraded it and I wonder what the major issue is here.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Telekom.de (Germany) released a Carrier Update: 28.3

If someone does not like the way I edited the Wiki-Post, feel free to change it!

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Probably isn't fixed because nobody has answered.
Yeah probably not! Wish it was. This is going to be the last version I have on my iPhone 7 so I hope it's cleaned up! I'm not going to update to iOS 11 in the fall to fix this bug and slow down my 7. I wonder if the setting time zone bug still exists in beta 1 of iOS 11?

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Yeah probably not! Wish it was. This is going to be the last version I have on my iPhone 7 so I hope it's cleaned up! I'm not going to update to iOS 11 in the fall to fix this bug and slow down my 7. I wonder if the setting time zone bug still exists in beta 1 of iOS 11?
Slow down... sure!:rolleyes:

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Slow down... sure!:rolleyes:
Ok it won't be slow persay but I'm sure app load times here and there will be fractions of a second slower and it will never be as fast as it was on the last version of iOS 10.

It's been the same every iPhone I've owned. I've had the 4, 5, 6 and 7 now. Every time I've updated the next year I've noticed a little bit of slowdown that wasn't there before. I've learned my lesson. Keep the iPhone on its original iOS version for fastest performance.

Reactions: Daniel80

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Ok it won't be slow persay but I'm sure app load times here and there will be fractions of a second slower and it will never be as fast as it was on the last version of iOS 10.

It's been the same every iPhone I've owned. I've had the 4, 5, 6 and 7 now. Every time I've updated the next year I've noticed a little bit of slowdown that wasn't there before. I've learned my lesson. Keep the iPhone on its original iOS version for fastest performance.
I`m not sure if this is still true with AFS and do not forget the security aspect. All apps get updates, unless they are not to old. All our devices are up to date: iPhone 5, iPhone 6, iPad 4 and an Apple Watch Series 0.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.