Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bahndoos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Just wanted to have a place here to collect people's opinions on using beta 2 as a daily driver. Would appreciate overall feelings about it, I.e. Net result of good vs bad points of the beta. You're of course welcome to point out particular aspects that are bugging you, but please keep those brief as there are many IOS 10 sub threads here dealing with single issues.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Just wanted to have a place here to collect people's opinions on using beta 2 as a daily driver. Would appreciate overall feelings about it, I.e. Net result of good vs bad points of the beta. You're of course welcome to point out particular aspects that are bugging you, but please keep those brief as there are many IOS 10 sub threads here dealing with single issues.

I've been on public beta 1 all day. Pretty good so far. I have no intention of downgrading.

Ajaredic

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
I'm using it for few days. Overall it is pretty stabile. Only slow animations and occasional stutter bothers me. I don't know why Apple won't let us disable all animations.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'm using it for few days. Overall it is pretty stabile. Only slow animations and occasional stutter bothers me. I don't know why Apple won't let us disable all animations.
Yeah. Those animations often takes 3-5 seconds to play, and you cannot skip it.
Just like a few games, forcing you to see the number goes up in an insanely slow speed, driving you crazy because you cannot skip it.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Very stable for a beta 2. Rarely have any hiccups. Slow animations and sometimes blank message notifications when I swipe down but that's it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Any comment on battery life?

pretty bad on my iPhone 6 but it's an early beta so it's to be expected.

by the time I left for work and set down on my desk it was down to 78% already. needless to say I got it plugged in all day

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
when u first install ios 10 go to photos & make sure it finishes its photo story thing, if it stalls force quit photos & open. once its done battery is normal again, that (how i see it) useless feature probably certainly pegs the cpu at max

Reactions: Sheldonsmith

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Any comment on battery life?
I have noticed about 2x the battery life than ios10 beta 1. Beta 1 would suck my battery pretty quick. Beta 2 does great...beta 2 seems buggy with Bluetooth (in my car). The only other thing I have seen, Beta 2 on the first day was draining my battery fast...the phone was warm, no apps open, I restarted my phone and it's now great. To be a beta, it works amazingly well.

Reactions: RobDan

shita29

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I have noticed about 2x the battery life than ios10 beta 1. Beta 1 would suck my battery pretty quick. Beta 2 does great...beta 2 seems buggy with Bluetooth (in my car). The only other thing I have seen, Beta 2 on the first day was draining my battery fast...the phone was warm, no apps open, I restarted my phone and it's now great. To be a beta, it works amazingly well.
Thanks for the info. Glad to know the battery life is good. Will try to upgrade tonight :)

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
For a Beta then its fairly solid, but I still had to roll back to 9.3.2 for my phones.

My biggest issues:

Rotation:
4 devices and each one gets stuck in the wrong position. Sometimes I can force it back to normal by launching a fixed rotation app (like instagram) but often times it requires a reboot.

Apps:
Most 3rd party apps work without an update, but a few are unusable

Battery:
Most complaints are because its a fresh install and all that background stuff is killing the battery. A few days with it will even things out but its still not equal to a stable release

Empty Upgrade:
I really love the amount of data you can access from the lock screen and it's great to see 3D Touch actually implemented properly. But I'd say a large majority of the visible feature-list are fluff and hardly something worth switching early for.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I've been running the developer beta on my iPhone SE and now the public beta on my iPad Air 2. They have both been pretty stable, with no major issues on my end. The messages app can lock up occasionally, and the new features can sometimes screw up, but overall it's solid.

The most annoying issue that I've run into is when typing into a web form, like this, if you use backspace or return, it scrolls the webpage down to the bottom, and you need to scroll back to where you were typing. It's actually incredibly annoying, and I am eagerly awaiting this bug fix.

Reactions: Math889

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Beta 2 sucks. Bluetooth drops galore and some navigation strangeness that I don't need while driving a car. I went back to beta 1 (which is pretty good). I'll wait for 3 before I try again.

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
After 1 day of use, I'll concur with a few others on the slow/stuttery animations (new folder open/close animation feels pretty slow to me, and opening/closing apps doesn't feel smooth). I've experienced the audio pausing issue that everyone is complaining about it - most annoyingly during a Headspace session.

Lock-screen has been a little rough - occasionally I won't be able to swipe between the lock screen panes (it'll move a small fraction before snapping back in place).

Oh, and I can't use the AR feature in Pokemon Go.

Otherwise, things are working properly. No real battery drain beyond what I normally see.

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
Battery life has been great for me. The animations are definitely buggy but that doesn't bother me too much. I'm going to continue using as a daily OS.

Edit: I should mention I'm using an iPhone 6S Plus 64 GB.

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I am hesitant to install beta 2 as I have an Apple Watch. I have no problem installing a beta on the iPhone, but the fact that the Apple Watch cannot be downgraded is not a risk I'm willing to take.

I also remember how the Apple Store treated me the last time I came into the store with a beta. They treated me with the same disdain as a jailbreaker. That is not acceptable.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Beta 2 sucks. Bluetooth drops galore and some navigation strangeness that I don't need while driving a car. I went back to beta 1 (which is pretty good). I'll wait for 3 before I try again.

I have to agree that b2 sucks compared to b1 which was fairly stable. With b2 my battery life is piss poor, Spotify randomly starts skipping tracks every 4 seconds or so. Audio pauses (even with Apple Music app) whenever I get a text message or make one, and when waze tells me to make a turn or whatever. While using safari I can literally watch the battery dropping 1% every 2-3 minutes. Woke up with 100% and within 20 minutes of checking emails and text messages I was down to 78%.

Safari locks up at times, changing apps sometimes causes the phone to lock up and the communication between the phone and the watch is just horrible. Beta 2 on the watch is just as bad or worse than the phone.

Reactions: dBeats

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
The OS itself runs smoothly for me for the most part. Sometimes I have the issue where it will get stuck in the wrong orientation but that usually sorts itself out. I also have had trouble with Facebook quitting which is the most frustrating bug but I also know it is a beta. As for battery life, mine has been pretty bad. I have a 6s plus and most days it would last all day so long as I put it on the charger when in the car. Now it's not lasting the full day so I've had to pull my office charger back on my desk. I'm hoping that the closer we get to the general release the battery life will go back to what it was before but even if it doesn't it's not that big of a deal, it's still better than what it was on my 5!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I am hesitant to install beta 2 as I have an Apple Watch. I have no problem installing a beta on the iPhone, but the fact that the Apple Watch cannot be downgraded is not a risk I'm willing to take.

I also remember how the Apple Store treated me the last time I came into the store with a beta. They treated me with the same disdain as a jailbreaker. That is not acceptable.
The Watch still works with iOS 10 even if you don't install WatchOS 3 beta on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.