Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
UK
Anyone using iOS 10 beta and CarPlay? I've found a major issue when it comes to using Siri via CarPlay in that previously I could briefly press the button on the steering wheel, Siri would start and then I could issue a command, however, with the iOS 10 beta I have to hold the button down constantly in order for Siri to work. As an example, if I want directions I now have to press and hold the button to say the command and then continue to hold the button while Siri replies all the way up to the point that the maps app opens and shows the route, not exactly ideal while trying to steer a car .

shearm

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
The release notes for Beta 2 note that this is a problem in this release. It didn't happen in Beta 1. I'm having the same problem with Beta 2 on my Honda Accord. I'm sure it will get fixed in the next beta.

Reactions: mikeb71

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Just realized, if you turn on "hey, Siri" you no longer need to press the button at all...
True. I'll have to try that. I keep my phone in a "secret compartment" behind my in dash display. Hope it can hear me!

mikeb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
UK
True. I'll have to try that. I keep my phone in a "secret compartment" behind my in dash display. Hope it can hear me!
I was going to ask whether doing this makes use of the microphone on the phone or the microphones in the car as I have to put my phone in a "secret compartment" too, so probably won't work too well with road noise etc.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
iPhone 6s with Carplay in 2016 Chevy Spark. Occasional bugs with display going blank and sound dropping out. Can't say if it's 10 or Carplay since this is my first experience with either. Biggest issue is with Maps and Navigation. Voice volume is not loud enough and music when playing, is not muted enough for voice to be heard. I beiieve this has been an ongoing problem however.

mikeb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
UK
iPhone 6s with Carplay in 2016 Chevy Spark. Occasional bugs with display going blank and sound dropping out. Can't say if it's 10 or Carplay since this is my first experience with either. Biggest issue is with Maps and Navigation. Voice volume is not loud enough and music when playing, is not muted enough for voice to be heard. I beiieve this has been an ongoing problem however.
With regards to Siri being too quiet, try increasing the volume when he/she is speaking. For me it's the same with just using the iPhone in that Siri, music etc have separate volume settings from one another.

jamiebeers

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
I had this same problem once I updated to ios10. It was playing sound through my phones microphone so sounded very quiet, but just for maps and messages. Music was fine. Turned "hey Siri" off, and everything worked great, but I had to hold the button down to summon Siri. Just turned that feature back on a whim, and now everything plays through car speakers....and I can hear "hey Siri's" response through the speakers.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
I had this same problem once I updated to ios10. It was playing sound through my phones microphone so sounded very quiet, but just for maps and messages. Music was fine. Turned "hey Siri" off, and everything worked great, but I had to hold the button down to summon Siri. Just turned that feature back on a whim, and now everything plays through car speakers....and I can hear "hey Siri's" response through the speakers.

Sound is playing thru car speaker. Siri volume is fine and can be adjusted. Hey Siri on or off, doesn't matter. Only 4 options for navigation prompt volume, Off, Low, Normal and Loud which are found in iPhone Settings-Maps-Driving. Attempting to use car volume to adjust only results in louder music. Voice volume won't adjust while it's speaking. Have never used Carplay before, so don't know if it's Carplay or iOS 10. Will wait thru the cycle of Beta's and see what happens as we get to a final version. Always surprises. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.