Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Andrew Wiik, a programmer that messes with iOS macOS and other things, tweeted out about a dark mode he discovered in the new messages app while tinkering with it. I find this interesting and exciting! Don't loose hope guys!!

image.jpg

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I wonder if that Hamzasood dude will access the hidden internal setting for iOS 10 like he has on past versions... Becoming to be interesting to see what kind of stuff Apple is testing internally.

Reactions: mattoligy

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I know that this is kinda out of topic but how were you able to keep your iPad and 4s on such low software versions?

By not updating to newer firmware?

I still have iOS 7 on iPad mini first generation. This is the last OS runs OK on A5... iOS 8 and iOS 9 is just lag fest on A5

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Ik that but almost all apps require iOS 7+ nowadays

its depends. If I want the maximum performance, I will stick with iOS 6 forever with A5 devices. iOS 7+ aren't really work well with A5... iOS 7 runs OK on A5, but not great.

P.S. Even with iOS 7, app compatibility is problem

Last edited:

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Andrew Wiik, a programmer that messes with iOS macOS and other things, tweeted out about a dark mode he discovered in the new messages app while tinkering with it. I find this interesting and exciting! Don't loose hope guys!!

View attachment 636263
Would make sense everything has a dark mode except iOS they brought it to tvOS and macOS has had a dark menu bar option

Reactions: mattoligy

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
Remember how long it took for Apple to bring Dark Mode to MacOS, and when it was announced on stage the audience went mad. I think it would be silly to have Dark Mode on MacOS and TVOS but not iOS!

Personally I don't think I would use it that much, unless I had a Space Grey (Or Midnight Blue :rolleyes:) iPhone, in which case I would probably rarely turn it off! But there is clearly a huge demand for it, what with people all over the Internet asking for it, multiple iOS concept videos promoting it and multiple unofficial but pretty comprehensive tweaks based on a full night mode!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can someone explain to me what's the obsession with dark mode? For texting in dark theaters?
Quite a few people don't like lots of light white space, especially when they use their devices after dark.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
This will probably be introduced next year when OLED devices drop. Didn't the same thing happen with Split Screen? It was discovered in code the year before and then officially launched the next major OS release.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Remember how long it took for Apple to bring Dark Mode to MacOS, and when it was announced on stage the audience went mad.
Not sure what you mean by this, there's no dark mode in MacOS. Only the dark menu bar and Dock which can hardly be considered a full dark mode.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I don't think Apple would leave out such a prominent new feature for iOS 10 for its fall (10.0) release at WWDC, even if it's not in the initial betas.

Instinct tells me this will probably be (if at all) a 10.1 feature.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
I know that this is kinda out of topic but how were you able to keep your iPad and 4s on such low software versions?
By not updating to newer firmware?

I still have iOS 7 on iPad mini first generation. This is the last OS runs OK on A5... iOS 8 and iOS 9 is just lag fest on A5
its depends. If I want the maximum performance, I will stick with iOS 6 forever with A5 devices. iOS 7+ aren't really work well with A5... iOS 7 runs OK on A5, but not great.

P.S. Even with iOS 7, app compatibility is problem
Pretty much... I just haven't updated them. Both are jail-broken, so software updates don't work and I have update killer to get rid of the notifications and badges about software updates.

I honestly haven't had a huge issue with app support on 6, I can show you my home-screen right now and you'll see. I also have a few older apps that still uses 6 design ideas with that 6 vibe. I really think they are better than the current versions, but some of them have their limitations, but its definitely manageable.

It's really my favorite iOS version, from its phenomenal performance, to great battery life, to un-breakable stability, to the user experience that never really gets old, I can't complain. It does what I need it to with style and swiftness (lol). Really if we are looking into it, the firing of Scott Forstall was a huge mistake. iOS really hasn't been as good as it was on 6. Sure I like 10 and its 10x better than 7-9, but I can't get over 6. It's something deep in my heart, and there's something classy about the design that just never gets old. Yeah some things in it were a little ridiculous *cough*find my friends*cough*Game center*cough*, but over all its a fantastic design with a user experience you can't get anywhere else. Apple should've polished it with 7 and expanded it with 8, but they just weren't smart to figure out what was a good idea and what wasn't.

Admit it, this design is cool... Not to mention that this design fits the character of iDevices very well.

image.jpg

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Dark Mode is inevitable next year when iPhone switches to OLED screens (or so the rumours say). With OLED Dark Mode brings notable battery life gains as pixels are individual LEDs and hence don't require a separate backlight, meaning that less pixels need to be on when Dark Mode is enabled.

Reactions: OGPrince

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
Dark Mode is inevitable next year when iPhone switches to OLED screens (or so the rumours say). With OLED Dark Mode brings notable battery life gains as pixels are individual LEDs and hence don't require a separate backlight, meaning that less pixels need to be on when Dark Mode is enabled.
True, we might just have to wait another year. But hopefully we get OLED screens this year by some miracle or at least higher res screens with better efficiency.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Pretty much... I just haven't updated them. Both are jail-broken, so software updates don't work and I have update killer to get rid of the notifications and badges about software updates.

I honestly haven't had a huge issue with app support on 6, I can show you my home-screen right now and you'll see. I also have a few older apps that still uses 6 design ideas with that 6 vibe. I really think they are better than the current versions, but some of them have their limitations, but its definitely manageable.

It's really my favorite iOS version, from its phenomenal performance, to great battery life, to un-breakable stability, to the user experience that never really gets old, I can't complain. It does what I need it to with style and swiftness (lol). Really if we are looking into it, the firing of Scott Forstall was a huge mistake. iOS really hasn't been as good as it was on 6. Sure I like 10 and its 10x better than 7-9, but I can't get over 6. It's something deep in my heart, and there's something classy about the design that just never gets old. Yeah some things in it were a little ridiculous *cough*find my friends*cough*Game center*cough*, but over all its a fantastic design with a user experience you can't get anywhere else. Apple should've polished it with 7 and expanded it with 8, but they just weren't smart to figure out what was a good idea and what wasn't.

Admit it, this design is cool... Not to mention that this design fits the character of iDevices very well.

View attachment 636432
I am perfectly OK with new iOS 7 era design, flat, bright, etc. But I am also OK with iOS 6 era design. Looks old but can reminds us a ton of things.
There might be only one thing stopping me from using such old software: app compatibility.
Unlike you, Microsoft Office suite jumps from iOS 7 or 8, kicking out iOS 6 entirely. Some online games abandon iOS 6 entirely. Some utilities are built on top of iOS 8. I find I have no choice to remain my iPad mini at iOS 6 forever, although iOS 6 on iPad mini is blazingly fast comparing to iOS 9.
iPhone 6s Plus? iOS 9 pre-installed so no way. :p
I am not a fanatic about design, but a fanatic about stability and compatibility. Current iOS 10 beta 1 is better comparing with iOS 9 beta 1? No. Soooo many crashes, and slow performance. I would rather recharge it every single minute than suffering overall lag and stutter but hey, first beta.

Alright, a bit random stuff. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.