iOS 10 DNS Services using EXTRAORDINARY amount of data

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Jarrodbcall, Jun 28, 2016.

  1. Jarrodbcall macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2013
    #1
    Hey all, I checked my cellular usage and my DNS services has used 600 MB. From what I understand, this is usually a very small source of data usage. Has anyone else experienced this on the Beta? I am curious as to why it skyrocketed. It did 300 MB today alone, and I am not sure why. Any thoughts?
     
  2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

    chrf097

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    #2
    Mine is only at 124 for the lifetime of the beta.
     
  3. Jarrodbcall thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2013
    #3
    Interesting...do you know if that is a change from before? I am wondering if it has to do with using the wifi on my local public transit. It is terribly spotty and it might be using data trying to authenticate or something?
     
  4. tjleonard macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    #4
    I've only used 46mb. I've used 1.5gb to n "ITunes Accounts "?
     
  5. Jarrodbcall thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2013
    #6
    Haha probably ;)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2016 ---
    Hmmmm...Yeah, I don't know what that means. Is that a change from the usual?
     
  6. skaclown macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    #7
    My iPhone is on 9.3.3 beta and my usage since 2014 (I dont reset :p) is at 115mb for DNS Services out 74gb total.

    This looks like an issue either with 10.0 beta or your specific phone...
     
  7. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

    jhfenton

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2012
    Location:
    Norwood, Ohio
    #8
    I'm at 5.2 MB for DNS Services for the month (since June 3), which includes running beta 1 since release day. I'm at 1.2 GB total for the month.
     
  8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

    t0mat0

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Home
    #9
  9. cmaus macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2008
    Location:
    Germany
    #10
    I'm experiencing the same on my iPhone 6S.
    Excessive data usage by DNS Services.
    And I suppose that's what is draining the battery in iOS 10 Beta 1, too.
     
  10. Jarrodbcall thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2013
    #11
    So interesting. I cant seem to figure out the common denominator. Maybe there isn't one though.
     
  11. GirishPurswani macrumors newbie

    GirishPurswani

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2016
    #12
    This is happening with me. System services used up 1.2 gb in a span of one hour. DNS seems to have taken the entire chunk. Switched off mobile data ever since. It was sucking data even while on wifi (so said the wifi data tracker) , so I restarted the phone. Now atleast on wifi it seems to be normal.
     
  12. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

    alexmarchuk

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #13
    This is what I see on beta 2.
     

    Attached Files:

  13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

    DeltaMac

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Location:
    Delaware
  14. rgomez macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    Location:
    Aguascalientes, México
    #15
    I did not have any issues with the betas, but today I suddenly got 466Mb of DNS requests out of nowhere. I'm on the released 10.0.1 version.
     
  15. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

    alexmarchuk

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #16
    Strange, what carrier? My last screenshot is from July and not much has changed.
     

    Attached Files:

  16. rgomez, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

    rgomez macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    Location:
    Aguascalientes, México
    #17
    I'm in Mexico, with AT&T.

    I checked yesterday my GF's phone and she has never reset her cellular usage statistics. She has maybe 1Mb of DNS requests for 29Gb of data.

    Something is very strange here but I can't find what it is. And if I can't figure out I can't prevent it from happening again.

    I'm attaching the screenshot of my statistics:

    IMG_7711.PNG
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    Btw, forgot to add: the first thing I did yesterday after finding this was reset my network settings. Maybe that did the trick.

    And the data was in fact counted by my carrier. I noticed this first when checking the carrier's app. I usually consume maybe 1.5gb of the 4 I have each month, but now on 3 days I got to 515Mb. That's what promted me to check the statistics on the iPhone.
     
  17. ricardovm macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2016
    #18
    Same problem. Using iPhone 7 with iOS 10.1.1. This problems seems to happen when connected to a wifi with low signal. My WiFi Assistant is turned off but it still uses lots of cellular data (~10-20Mb within 3 minutes) on DNS Services.
     
  18. phobos512 macrumors regular

    phobos512

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2012
    Location:
    High Desert, CA, USA
    #19
    I've only used 39.1 MB for DNS since 31 AUG (so three and a half months) on T-Mobile (prepaid) on my 7Plus running 10.x (currently 10.2)...
     

Share This Page