Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetho

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
Hi there,

I somewhere read during the beta phase that with iOS 10 when saying 'Hey Siri' when multiple devices are around, only one of them will actually respond. However, my iPad and 6s both keep answering me a the same time (tried it with wifi only and wifi+bluetooth).
Does anyone know how I can geht this to work?

Cheers

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I just tried it out and that feature seems to work. My iPad Pro is on and my phone wasn't, but the second Siri popped up on my iPhone my iPad immediately quit the Siri page. Maybe try restarting your devices?
It seems the 9to5mac article specifically mentions the iPad Pro. I'm not sure if this is the only one it works with, but that could be a possibility. Are you using a Pro and a 6s?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
This has been working seamlessly for me for the last few betas. Not sure what to do if both are still activating short of reporting the bug :/

Edited to add I'm using a 6s Plus and 9.7" iPad Pro.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Didn't realize this was a feature. Just tried and works perfectly. Is there a way to determine which is the default device?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Didn't realize this was a feature. Just tried and works perfectly. Is there a way to determine which is the default device?

I assume iCloud is talking in the background to decide which device is active, similar to how the AirPods are purported to seamlessly transition based on which device you're using.

jetho

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
It seems the 9to5mac article specifically mentions the iPad Pro. I'm not sure if this is the only one it works with, but that could be a possibility. Are you using a Pro and a 6s?
Yeah, I'm using the 6s and the iPad Pro 9.7. Did you have bluetooth activated? I'll try restarting when I got back home, just did 2 or 3 test runs before going to bed yesterday. But at least I know now that this feature is (in principle) still there.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
Yeah, I'm using the 6s and the iPad Pro 9.7. Did you have bluetooth activated? I'll try restarting when I got back home, just did 2 or 3 test runs before going to bed yesterday. But at least I know now that this feature is (in principle) still there.
Yes Bluetooth was on with both devices, but I don't have them paired together, so I don't believe that it's necessary

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I assume iCloud is talking in the background to decide which device is active, similar to how the AirPods are purported to seamlessly transition based on which device you're using.
Both of my devices were not active and its been defaulting to my iPhone in all my tests (limited amount of tests - 4).

jetho

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
Ok, I've run a few tests and got it to work. But from my experience bluetooth has to be activated. Based on that I'm assuming it works in a similar way than handoff (?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.