iOS 10: Lockscreen quick replies?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by jason2811, Sep 14, 2016.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I currently have TouchID set up on my phone. I would like to be able to quick reply to texts (and emails) from the lock screen. How can I set this up?

Right now whenever I press "view" on a text on the lockscreen, I am asked for my fingerprint or passcode which is pointless because it's almost the same as totally unlocking the phone and going into text messages.

Basically, I want to use TouchID to prevent anyone from totally unlocking my phone but I want to be able to quick reply to texts (and emails) from the lock screen. Is this possible?

2. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

Do you have it set to not show content on the lock screen?

3. boygiant macrumors member

boygiant

You 3D touch the message and a reply window should come up.

4. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I have mine set to not show content. And, in having this step, I can't use the 'quick reply', either. I'm sure it is because I don't have it showing the messages (privacy and all that).

5. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 6 so no 3D Touch.

I have preview turned off. Not sure what that should matter. I don't want to be able to see or reply to the text until I enter the quick reply screen (which doesn't come up until I enter my password).

6. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

7. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, the preview being off would be one of the reasons you aren't able to do it as without previews you can't see what the message says, and thus can't reply, until you actually view the message, which requires the phone to be unlocked and you basically seeing the message in the Messages app.