iOS 10 on iPhone 5 Feels Super Laggy

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by asoksevil, Sep 14, 2016.

1. asoksevil macrumors 6502

So I just updated my iPhone 5 as I want watchOS 3 and despise some people saying the performance is on par with iOS 9, I feel it feels way too slow, some apps like Safari will not even load. There's an overall sluggishness across the board, from animations, opening and closing apps, switching and loading.

Anybody else experiencing similar results? Can I still downgrade to iOS 9?

2. jutleys macrumors member

Update your iphone too thats why its laggy hardware cant cope with the software demands.

3. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

Yeah mines quite laggy but not as bad as the iPhone 4S was on iOS 9. I can live with this, especially when I'm getting the Watch soon and upgrading phones next year.

4. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

My 6s feels a little laggy after the update. :/

5. RedOrchestra, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

Standard Answer # 11 in the Cult of Apple handbook.

Hmmm ... was the iPhone 5 NOT included in those models that can update and use iOS 10?

6. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

The phone is 4 years old. That's ancient time in tech talk.

7. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

That's normal for the first 1-2 days after updating, iOS does it's usual background things like indexing, scanning for the new learning algorithms etc. It is going to be much smoother in 1-2 days.

8. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Do a clean install. Plug phone into Mac, do it via iTunes. Do not install from a backup. You want a clean install/restore, and set up as new iPhone. Follow the iTunes prompts.

Do this, and there is a very good chance your iPhone will once again be responsive. For any major release, I never do an "update," I clean install. It makes a noticeable difference. I've given the same advice for iPhones and iPads, and people report it did eliminate the incremental update lag.

9. Bsadle1 macrumors newbie

Bsadle1

I did my update through the phone itself(6+) and I'm way impressed with how snappy it is. I'm sorry if everyone is not satisfied. I guess I got lucky.

10. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I have used iOS10 on my iPhone 5 since the beta. It's fine. I disabled the animation (never like it anyway), and it is not any slower than it was on iOS 9. Sure, multi-tasking can feel a bit choppy, but not unbearably slow.
    Of course, things was not as blazingly fast when it was on iOS6. But we just have to move forward. This will probably be the last iOS update for the 5 anyway, and I think it handled its lasts days much better than any of the previous iPhones.

11. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

When you do this, how do you get your photos back on the phone? Or do you just back your photos up to an external hard drive / or computer?

12. pika2000 macrumors 68030

iCloud or desktop backup. Of course there are other solutions like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.
    iCloud is the easiest, and for 99c per month for 50GB, it's a pretty nice service.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I feel like some of the earlier betas performed much better than the final release.

14. menist macrumors regular

menist

Works fine for me here on a iPhone 5C, though its weird having to unlock the phone with the home button.

15. asoksevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, after battery run out I charged it back and it's snappier than before. I can still notice the differences between iOS 9 and 10 when switching apps but way better than before.

I have many docs and app files that I need to have with me... I know clean install nught be better but if I want to keep all my stuff, it won't work.

16. 2457248 Suspended

can i ask you just a simple question: how do you find yourself with the new lock screen, esp. the new method to unlock the phone? i have an iP5 too and i'm a bit reluctant to update, because i feel the new unlock system was made with touchID in mind.
    how is it now, double home press and then passcode?

17. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

5C here. I don't like it :( . I miss the swipe to unlock. Also the control center it's annoying.

18. greg99 macrumors member

I don't ever upgrade an iOS until the X.1 release, regardless of the device. Too much sloppy code/QA at Apple the last few years.

19. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

It's DEFINITELY made with Touch ID in mind.

You just press for the finger print and then press again to go to the home screen. It's really simply but takes some getting used too

20. asoksevil thread starter macrumors 6502

It felt kind of weird at first, I am bot used to it yet and I still quite like the slide to unlock. The control center is a good upgrade thought.

21. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Slide to unlock is obsolete. Extraneous motion. Getting used to pressing home to unlock.

I'm glad I have the SE.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Kind of like the headphone jack is "obsolete". ;)

23. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5 was bad on iOS 8. I can't believe they have iOS 10 available for it.

24. Radon87000 macrumors 601

Apple's planned obsolescence at its finest.Some will stay in denial though.This is why I like Nexus update policy more than iPhone

25. C DM, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like various people have said it's fairly good on iOS 10. An example: