iOS 10 says connecte to WiFi in Settings, but its not, its using 4G?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by stuaz, Sep 16, 2016.

1. stuaz macrumors 6502

So I upgraded my iPhone 6 to iOS 10, but I have this issue whereby it says its connected to WiFi but its not.

If I go into the settings menu for WiFi, which lists all the networks around me. I click on mine and it 'ticks' it to indicate its connected, but I still have the 4G symbol at the top of the phone and apps that require WiFi, won't work as they say I am using mobile data.

I have done -

- Reset of Network Settings.
    - Restarted Phone
    - Toggled between airplane mode
    - Toggled WiFi on and off
    - 'forgot' this network

I have another iPhone 6s and an iPad 4 both running iOS10 and the do not have this WiFi issue, so I don't think my router is the issue (Though I did reboot it anyway).

This was working prior to iOS 10.

Any ideas guys?

2. wovel macrumors 68000

With 10.0.1 my wifi indicator flashes over and over and eventually the phone reboots. Works fine with WiFi off. This even happens if I am connecting to another iOS device as a hotspot. I have tried resetting the network settings and doing a clean install from iTunes and restoring a backup. This is also on an iPhone 6 and other devices are fine.

3. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

Check Settings > Mobile Data, then scroll to the bottom and make sure "Wi-Fi Assist" is turned OFF? Otherwise if the phone considers your Wi-Fi stream not good enough it switches to the cellular data.

4. stuaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I did check that and it had the same problem.

In the end to resolve it I had to back it up to my computer (couldn't do a iCloud sync as it said I must use wifi). Wiped the phone, and then restored from the backup. Seems to be working ok now...